When I made Chicken N Dumplings the other day, I had one lonely poached chicken breast left over from the packages I bought. What to do with it? The possibilities for a perfectly poached chicken breast are endless, but I settled on my version of a Waldorf Salad, and it was very yummy! Inspired by Gina from Skinnytaste's recipe, I tweaked just a few things with ingredients I had on hand. This is great on a bed of baby lettuces or even in a sandwich or wrap.
If you don't happen to have a poached chicken breast just laying around, you can very easily poach one or two for this recipe specifically ( or any recipe that requires cooked chicken breast) . It's easy. Take a bone-in ( skinless or skin on, doesn't matter) chicken breast(s) in a med pan and cover with fat free, low sodium chicken broth ( you could also use water in a pinch ). Be sure to completely cover the meat with the liquid. Allow it to come to a boil, and then simmer on med-low heat for approx. 15 - 20 min, or until chicken is done. Remove chicken and allow to cool to room temp. Strain the broth back into a container for use another time. When chicken in cool enough to handle, remove the skin and bone and discard then shred the meat into bite sized pieces using two forks.
Waldorf Style Chicken Salad
Chicken breast meat combined with low fat mayo, crisp celery, sweet apple, crunchy walnuts and chewy dried cranberries for a lovely chicken salad great alone or on a sandwich!
- cooked chicken meat from one bone-in chicken breast (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup reduced fat mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 TBS Nonfat Greek yogurt (plain)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 tsp. dried tarragon (optional)
- 1 cup chopped apple (any variety you like to eat)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 TBS. dried cranberries
- 2 TBS chopped walnuts
- In a medium bowl, combine the mayo, vinegar, yogurt, and tarragon.
- Add in the chicken, apple, celery, cranberries, and walnuts.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cover and allow flavors to blend in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 05 mins.
Total time: 35 mins.
Tags: chicken, salad, apples, cranberries, walnuts, lunch, dinner
Servings - approx. 3 Serving size - approx. 1 cup Points plus per svg - 6 points+
Calories - 229.7, Total Fat - 11.1g, Carb. - 13.4g, Protein - 19.5g, Fiber - 1.8g ( these values are for 1 cup chicken salad only)
Like what you see? Follow RKA on all these social networks!!