|After searing. Ready for the oven.|
|Roast, carrots, red pepper, and potatoes|
|PLENTY of gravy!!|
Classic Beef Pot Roast adapted from Cooking Light, Oct. 2006
Servings - 10 Serving size - 3 oz. cooked roast, about 3/4 cup vegetables, and about 3 TBS gravy Points Plus per svg - 8 points+
Calories - 307, Total fat - 10.4g, Carb. - 23.7g, Protein - 28.6g, Fiber - 2.8g
1 tsp olive oil
1 (3-pound) boneless, chuck roast ( I used english cut)
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
2 cups coarsely chopped onion
1cup dry red wine ( I used Merlot)
4 or 5 sprigs of fresh thyme ( you could sub 1 tsp. dried if you want )
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 (14 oz. can) low sodium beef broth
2 bay leaves
4 large carrots, cut diagonally into 1 inch pcs
2 pounds of yukon gold potatoes, cut into 2 inch pcs ( I used baby dutch)
1. Salt and pepper both sides of roast. Allow to sit at room temp for about 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven over med-high heat. Brown roast on all sides. About 5 minutes. Remove roast from pan and set aside for a few minutes. Add onions to pan and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Return browned roast to pan. Add the red wine, thyme, garlic, beef broth and bay leaves to pan. Bring to simmer. Cover pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 1 1/2 hours.
4. Add carrots and potatoes to pan. ( or if you choose to roast separate like I did skip this part* ) Bake an additional hour covered or vegetables are tender and meat is fork tender.
5. Remove roast from pan and allow to rest for 10 min. Remove bay leaves and thyme sprigs from gravy. Shred meat into large chucks, removing any visible fat. ( it will just pull right off) Serve meat with vegetables and gravy.
*Since I elected to roast my vegetables separate, this is how I did it. When the roast was done, and fork tender, I removed it and allowed it to sit. On two baking sheets, sprayed with olive oil from my misto, I arranged the cut up vegetables in a single layer, salted and peppered them, and then sprayed them with the misto to coat. I roasted them in a 425 degree F oven for about 30 -35 min or until browned and tender. This REALLY brings out the sweetness in the carrots. Once the vegetables were done, I then proceeded with cutting up the roast. I also thickened the gravy with 2 tsp. cornstarch dissolved in 2 TBS water before I added it to the meat to serve.