I picked up some 12" french sub rolls the other day on the cheap! They were from a local bakery that sells "Oops!" packages of their breads in several of my area grocery stores. ( I am never quite sure what imperfection keeps the product from selling at it's normal retail price, but this particular package looked darn near perfect!) They are marked down from the original prices. I got four 12" rolls for $1.79! Wow!
As I looked at the rolls on the counter, I knew I could make an Italian sub, but with it being so cold outside, I wanted something warm. The light bulb went off...Italian Sub French Bread Pizzas!!
These pizzas are fun and quick and something just a "little different" from the same old, same old. The guys in my house gave these a double thumbs up...so I know they would be great to serve as a snack for the big game this weekend or anytime you are looking for a little something.
I kept them on the lighter side, by using lower fat ingredients. Of course, with something like this, portion control would be the golden rule!
Italian Sub French Bread Pizza
Servings - 8 Serving size - 1/8th of recipe Points Plus per Serving - 6 Points+
*Calories - 233.4, Total Fat - 7.6g, Carb. - 28.2g, Protein - 11.9g, Fiber - 1.8g
*Stats were calculated using the brands of products I used. Be aware that your brands may calculate differently.
1 - 12" french bread type sub roll (I used Orlando brand)
4 TBS. reduced fat Italian dressing, divided (I used Kraft brand)
8 thin slices of fresh tomato
4 thin slices of hard salami, cut into strips (I used Eckrich brand)
4 oz. of thin sliced, low fat, smoked deli ham, chopped (I used Hillshire Farm brand)
1/4 cup sliced black olives
1/4 cup sliced mild banana peppers
1 cup part skim, shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
2 TBS grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. For ease of clean up, cover a baking sheet with some foil.
- Split the 12" roll in half and lay halves on prepared baking sheet with cut side up.
- Spread each half with 1 TBS of the reduced fat Italian dressing.
- Top each half with 4 tomato slices.
- Top the tomato slices on each half with half the salami and half the ham.
- Divide the black olives between each half. Top the meat with the sliced olives.
- Divide the sliced banana peppers between each half. Top the meat and olives with the banana pepper slices.
- Top each half with 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese and 1 TBS of the Parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle each half with some dried basil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Cut each pizza into 4 pieces for a total of 8 pieces.
If you can't find the 12" rolls, 4 - 6" sub rolls would suffice just fine!
Like many of you, I honestly cannot believe how miserable this winter has been. Cold, cold, cold, snow, snow, snow. I mentioned on FB the other day, that if it were Pioneer days, I would be one to not make it through the winter. Honestly, I cannot even imagine having to deal with this without a warm home to live in. I'm hoping Mother Nature does a 360, and sends us some warm spring weather early!! A girl can hope anyway...right?
This post is being shared with: