When I was asked if I wanted to review a copy of Haute Dogs: Recipes for Delicious Hot Dogs, Buns, and Condiments by Russell Van Kraavenburg I jumped at the opportunity. (Disclaimer: This book was sent to me from the publisher, Quirk Books, for free to review. All opinions expressed in this review are mine.) While I'm not a huge fan of hot dogs, I do enjoy one from time to time...but my husband, I think he might be hot dog's number one fan of all time. The man LOVES hot dogs. I think if he could only choose one food to eat for the rest of his life, hot dogs would be his choice.
Haute Dogs: Recipes for Delicious Hot Dogs, Buns, and Condiments by Russell Van Kraayenburg is a wonderful collection of over 100 recipes for hot dog creations and beyond from all over the world! Inside, you will find detailed instructions on how to create hot dogs from the American classics such as the iconic "Chicago Dog" to exotic South American favorites such as "Sao Paolo Potato Dog" from Brazil. Haute Dogs also goes beyond the dog and presents recipes for buns and condiments from scratch and even recipes to make your own hot dogs and sausages from scratch! This book is a goldmine for anyone who is a fan of hot dogs...and wouldn't it make a great gift this year for Father's Day?!
With the summer grilling season getting into full swing, this book is a great addition to any cookbook collection. It's filled with stunning full sized color photos and is available in paperback with flaps. (Which makes saving a page so convenient!)
One of Russell's recipes in the book that caught my eye was this recipe for New York Style Sauteed Onions...you know, the kind of yummy, tomato-y onion mixture you get from the pushcarts in and around Central Park?
Enjoying this dog brought back a lot of great memories for me! Can I just say, I LOVE NY? I've been there countless times and this re-creation of the classic dog topping took me right back there. Now thanks to Russell Van Kraayenburg and Haute Dogs, you can take a trip to NYC too!
Haute Dogs by Russell Van Kraayenburg is available now at Amazon (both paperback and Kindle editions) and other booksellers as well. For more information about this book and other great reads, visit Quirk Books.
New York Style Sauteed Onions
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced
- 2 TBS tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or more or less to taste)
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- In a medium non-stick skillet, heat the olive oil. Add in the onions and saute until they start to become translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the tomato past, cayenne and cinnamon. Continue to cook until the onions are very soft (about 10 -15 minutes). Add water as needed to keep the tomato paste from burning and the mixture from becoming to thick.
- Serve atop your favorite hot dog brand (I'm loving the uncured all beef ones from Applegate Farms® right now) with some brown mustard and on a soft bakery roll. Store any leftover onions in the fridge. These are also fantastic on burgers!
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Total time: 30 mins.
Tags: hogdogs, summer, onions, NYC, HauteDogs
Slightly adapted from Haute Dogs: Recipes for Delicious Hot Dogs, Buns, and Condiments
Hot dog loving husband was smitten with this recipe! He declared this one of the best dinners I have ever made. lol I served these dogs with some homemade macaroni salad and some corn on the cob.
How about you? Are you a hot dog lover? How do you like your dogs if you are?