Zucchini! Do you have bunch of it? I don't grow my own, but I am always being "gifted" zucchini this time of year...and I LOVE it, because it is just so darn versatile. I can find a way to add it to just about anything...sweet or savory.
Last week, I was sent a link to a delicious looking zucchini bread from one of my friends. I knew that if I could find the time, I was going to make this pretty amazing looking zucchini bread. I found the time on Sunday of this past week, but sorry to say...I wasn't able to make the recipe work. So because I really enjoyed the flavor of this particular recipe, I was determined to find a way to make it again and enjoy it this time. (Sad to say, the first attempt ended up in the trash!) Thus, Glazed Orange Zucchini Muffins were born...and I think I got it right!
These muffins have a slight hint of orange and are moist, tender and cake-like. They go perfectly with an afternoon cup of coffee or tea. And they are full of zucchini! (that makes them healthy, right?? lol) While these are not low cal or low fat fare, they are delicious and I can't think of a better way to use up some of that zucchini we all have a bunch of this time of year!
I purchased all of these (minus two I used to make these muffins) zucchini at my grocery s for 99 cents total! That's crazy.
Since I didn't have any lemons like the first zucchini bread recipe called for, I subbed out oranges...orange zest and fresh orange juice. It was a really nice flavor addition. I also decided, since bake time was one of the problems I encountered with the bread recipe, to make muffins. I baked them at 375 degrees F for about 20-25 minutes, which was just about perfect for my oven!
If you find that your zucchini, once you've grated it is very wet, you might want to pat it with some paper towels so you don't get too much moisture in the muffins. I did this for mine.
Glazed Orange Zucchini Muffins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup oil ( I used olive oil, but you can use canola or vegetable oil too)
- 1/2 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 TBS fresh orange juice
- zest of one orange
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- For Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 TBS orange juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line muffin wells of a standard sized muffin tin with paper liners, or spray with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- In large 4 cup glass measure (or small bowl), combine the eggs, oil, sugar, orange juice, orange zest, vanilla extract and buttermilk. Whisk to combine. Mix in zucchini.
- Make a well in center of flour mixture and pour in the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Portion out batter into muffin tins. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove muffins to wire rack to cool.
- In small bowl, combine the powdered sugar and orange juice to create a glaze.
- Drizzle glaze over the muffins. Let glaze set before serving.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 15 mins.
Total time: 40 mins.
Tags: zucchini, muffins, orange, bake, snack, dessert
Adapted from Lil Luna
Servings - 12 - 14 Serving Size - 1 muffin Points Plus per Serving - 7 Points+
Calories - 239.4, Total Fat - 8.7g, Carb. - 38g, Protein - 3.2g, Fiber - 0.7g
Looking for more great recipes to use up your zucchini? Try these!
|Ratatouille from Renee's Kitchen Adventures|
|Chipotle Zucchini Cheddar Biscuits from Grumpy's Honeybunch|
|Easy Cheesy Manicotti from Life Tastes Good|
|Turkey and Zucchini Enchiladas with Tomatillo Verde Sauce|
|Corn and Zucchini Salsa from Flavor Mosiac|
Like what you see? Follow RKA on all these social networks!!