If copycat restaurant recipes would get awards for being dead ringers, this recipe for Cracker Barrel Copycat Country Style Green Beans would take the prize. Green beans simmered with smokey bacon and onion until they are super tender make an awesome addition to any holiday table, weeknight dinner, or weekend feast!
I have long been a fan of Cracker Barrel's down home cooking style. There are certain things I MUST have when I go there, their green beans being one of them. I always make sure to order the super flavorful green beans as a side dish because I love them so much. When I stumbled upon a copycat recipe several weeks ago, I knew I had to give it a try.
I have to be honest with you though, I used to hate green beans as a kid. Even as a young adult, I pushed my nose up at green beans. I wonder if I would have been served these green beans, if I would have changed my mind a lot sooner?
Today, green beans are my go to vegetable of choice! Haha Who would have ever guessed? These Cracker Barrel Copycat Country Style Green Beans will turn anyone into a green bean lover. I mean, there's bacon in them! How can that be bad?
This recipe could not be easier because you start with canned green beans. I'm not a huge fan of canned vegetables, I prefer frozen or fresh, but the canned beans really work well in this recipe and I'm not sure the recipe would even work if it were made with frozen or fresh green beans.
This green bean recipe made a trial run at my house a few weeks ago, and was given thumbs up by everyone that tried them. These are already on my Thanksgiving menu for this year!
If you are a fan of Cracker Barrel's green beans, you've got to give this recipe a try. I know these beans will be making regular appearances around my house.
**This recipe is part of a 12 dish Thanksgiving feast put together by myself and 11 other fabulous bloggers!**
CLICK HERE TO VISIT ALL 12 DISHES IN THE MIX IT UP THANKSGIVING GIVEAWAY AND ENTER TO WIN!
Cracker Barrel Copycat Country Style Green Beans
Green beans simmered with smokey bacon and onion until tender and flavorful. The perfect side for any meal!
- 4 slices of thick cut bacon, chopped into pieces
- 3-14.5 ounce cans of cut green beans in water (I used Del Monte®), DO NOT DRAIN
- 1/2 cup finely diced sweet onion
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In large saucepan, add cut up bacon pieces and cook on medium heat until just browned, but not crisp. (To make cutting up bacon easier, put into freezer for several minutes before chopping).
- Once bacon is done, add in the green beans with their liquid, the onion, and the sugar. Stir. Bring mixture to a boil, then turn down to simmer.
- Allow beans to simmer on very low heat for 35-40 minutes without stirring to allow flavors to blend and the onion to cook. (stirring will cause the beans to break apart).
- Take off heat and add in salt and pepper to your taste and gently stir. Do not drain off liquid. Serve with a slotted spoon. Enjoy!
Yield: approx. 8 servings
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Total time: 50 mins.
Tags: green beans, vegetable, side dish, bacon, country style
Servings - approx. 8 Serving size - 1/8th of recipe (approx. 3/4 cup)
Points Plus per Serving - 2 Points+
Calories - 67, Total Fat - 2.8g, Carb. - 8g, Protein - 2.8g, Fiber - 2.8g
Like I mentioned, these green beans will be making an appearance on our holiday table this year. You can make this recipe in advance and store in the liquid in the refrigerator and then just heat them up on the big day, to save you time. I'm all about making as much as I can ahead of time when it comes to holiday meals!
Be sure to stop back tomorrow, as I've got a big surprise for you! Several bloggy friends and I have gotten together and created a complete Thanksgiving menu plan from appetizers to dessert which includes the turkey and this wonderful green bean recipe, plus another chance to WIN a KitchenAid Mixer to help with all your holiday baking!!
I would LOVE to be your holiday baking fairy and gift you a mixer to make your life easier!
Like what you see? Follow RKA on all these social networks!!