Savory Herb Chicken and Rice Soup is a super quick, and easy soup you can have on the table in no time thanks to Uncle Ben's® Flavored Grains and a store bought rotisserie chicken!
Last week, my family spent some time in glorious New Orleans, LA on a spring vacation! Everything was perfect...the weather, the food, the music and the fun. We were lucky to have our daughter travel from Milwaukee and join us too! We were busy every single day. Unfortunately, we returned with colds and sinus issues. Boo! I knew a yummy chicken soup was just what we all needed to ward off the yuckies.
I had intended to make a quick chicken noodle soup, but while I was gone, a large box of goodies arrived from Allrecipes! They call it a "share box" and it was stuffed full of all sorts of fun foodie items. I immediately spied the new Uncle Ben's® Basmati Medley, and instantly knew I was going to make rice soup instead of noodle soup. ( I was not compensated to make this recipe or share it with you. All opinions are mine alone. This box was given to me as part of the relationship I have with Allrecipes as an Allstar.)
What is so awesome about using this grain blend to make soup is, the seasonings are all right there for you in a nice little package right in the box of rice! The Basmati Medley is a combination of long grain white rice, basmati rice, orzo and wild rice.
This soup really hit the spot and came together so easy! I really love making homemade soups because they are full of nutritious goodness. This recipe made enough for us as well as enough to send over to my in-laws. It was delicious and I know I will be making it again soon! I can't wait to try all the goodies in my share package and share what I make with them with all of you! I've got my sights set on that can of Bush's Beans next! ;)
Savory Herb Chicken and Rice Soup
A quick and easy chicken and rice soup that comes together in no time thank's to Uncle Ben's flavored grains and a store-bought rotisserie chicken.
- 1 whole rotisserie chicken, meat removed from bones and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 med sized onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 3 ribs of celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups fat free, low sodium chicken broth (2-32 oz. boxes)
- 2 cups water
- 1 - 6 oz. box Uncle Ben's Basmati Medley (Savory Herb) or other Uncle Ben's rice varieties with seasoning packs
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 - 14 oz can of petite diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper, if needed
- juice of half a lemon
- In large stock pot, heat oil over med/high heat. Add in the onion, carrots, and celery. Cook until the vegetables begin to get tender and onion becomes translucent. (about 6- 8 minutes) Add in the garlic and cook another minute or so until it becomes fragrant.
- Add the entire seasoning package included in the box of rice mix, chicken broth, water and bay leaf. Stir and allow mixture to come to boil. Stir in rice mix.
- Turn heat down to simmer and partially cover. Allow to simmer until the rice is cooked and the veggies are tender (about 25 - 35 minutes) .
- Add in the tomatoes, chicken, parsley and juice of lemon. Taste for salt and pepper and add as you like. Allow to cook until heated through. Remove bay leaf before serving.
Yield: 24 servings
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Total time: 55 mins.
Tags: chicken, soup, Uncle Ben's, rice, tomatoes, dinner, orzo
Yup, New Orleans was a blast!! I've been there several times before, but as a foodie, I tell ya, it never gets old for me. This was the first time my daughter visited, and she really enjoyed it as much as the rest of us, who have been before did! I think the "highlight" of our trip was a swamp tour where we watched wild gators being fed boat side! The swamp was really beautiful. Not at all as I had imagined it to be. Hopefully, I'll be able to get a post up about all our adventures in the Big Easy this year and share photos with you all!
In the meantime, make this soup! You won't be disappointed!
Like what you see? Follow RKA on all these social networks!!