Easy Grilled Chicken Sausage and Pepper Kabobs are a great weeknight dinner option! Using store-bought, fully-cooked chicken sausage makes this come together in a snap. Thread the sausage and peppers on skewers and add whatever other fresh veg you like! ( I added zucchini and red onion to mine!) This was a quick, healthy and really tasty dinner for us last week!Cook time: 00 hrs. 15 mins.
The thing I love about this recipe is that when you use fully-cooked sausages, it's really just a matter of heating up the meat and cooking the veggies to a crisp tender, so it's a super quick meal. You don't have to worry about raw meat contaminating the raw veggies, like you do when you use raw sausages, chicken, fish, or beef as the protein on kabobs either. And, since the cook time is so short, there's no worry about the veggies cooking too soft and falling off the skewer while you are waiting for the raw meat to cook.
To make it more interesting, I used two different flavors of chicken sausages and threaded two sections of each flavor onto each skewer. I used a Basil Pesto flavored chicken sausage and a Spicy Italian flavored one. You can use whatever variety you like! Just make sure they are the fully cooked kind. You also don't have to use chicken sausage...you can substitute any other kind of meat as well. I happen to LOVE all the varieties of Trader Joe's fully cooked chicken sausages, so that is what is pictured here. When assembling your kabobs, make sure you start with a sausage chunk and finish with one on your skewer, to make sure all the goodness stays on the skewer as it cooks.
I served these kabobs with some delicious rice pilaf, but I think they'd be great with pasta as well. This is one of my "go to" easy summer meals and we have it often. My family loves fresh veggies grilled and my husband is a huge fan of sausage, so this meal is a real family pleaser!
I used metal skewers, but if you use bamboo ones, remember, you'll need to soak them in water for a few hours before you plan to thread and grill to keep them from burning up.
Easy Grilled Chicken Sausage and Pepper Kabobs
Fully-cooked chicken sausages threaded with multi-colored peppers and fresh vegetables on a skewer and grilled to perfection for a quick weeknight meal everyone will love.
- 2 - 12 oz. packages of fully-cooked chicken sausages, any variety or a combination of varieties
- 2- 3 bell peppers, cleaned and cut into chunks (red, yellow, orange or green)
- 1 small red onion, cleaned and cut into chunks
- 2 - 3 zucchini, cut into chunks
- 1 TBS olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Mix all the veggie chunks in a bowl with 1 TBS olive oil. (I used garlic flavor) and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Cut each chicken sausage into three chunks (about 1 1/2" each chunk)
- On metal skewer OR well-soaked bamboo skewer, thread sausage chunks and veggie chunks to the end, beginning with and ending with a sausage chunk (to help keep veggies from sliding off when cooking)
- Pre-heat grill to med-high heat. Grill each kabob, turning often, until veggies are crisp tender and sausages are heated through.
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Total time: 25 mins.
Tags: grilling, sausage, vegetable, peppers, dinner, skewer, kabob
Other EASY WEEKNIGHT DINNER ideas you might enjoy!
|Grilled Peanut Ginger Chicken|
Like what you see? Follow RKA on all these social networks!!