Crispy Oven-Baked Garlic Parmesan Potato Wedges are one of my favorite summer side dishes! There is a secret to achieving the perfect crunch with these babies, and when you taste them, you will swear they were fried. The garlic and Parmesan flavors take these over the top!
These potato wedges are really very easy to make, however they do require a bit of planning. The secret to crisp potato wedges from the oven is in soaking them in water about before you bake them. Soaking the cut potatoes will draw out some of the starch, helping them crisp up nicely in the oven. I discovered this soaking method several years ago, and have never looked back.
A few weeks ago, russet potatoes happened to be on a super sale at my market. I grabbed a big 10# bag for $2.00! I knew oven baked potato wedges would be on the menu, but wanted to kick them up a notch in the flavor department. That's when I decided to add garlic and Parmesan to the mix. What a great flavor combo! The Parmesan cheese gets nice and toasty brown on the fries, giving them an extra layer of crunch.
It's really important to make sure you use a big enough baking sheet that these potatoes can be spread out with plenty of room between the slices. If you don't give them space, they will not brown up as nice as you see here. Overcrowding them on the pan will cause them to steam and they will not get as crispy as you want.
You will also want to be sure to use a Silpat liner, a layer of non-stick foil, or a sheet of parchment on the bottom of the pan to make clean up easy. The cheese that doesn't stay stuck to the fries does sneak to the bottom of the pan and can stick. If you've ever had to clean baked on cheese off a pan before, you know what I am saying here!
Give these DE-licious potato wedges a try tonight! You will love them and so will your family. And...because they are oven "fried" they are a healthy choice too!
Crispy Oven-Baked Garlic Parmesan Potato Wedges
Garlic and Parmesan cheese turn ordinary oven baked potato wedges into an extraordinary side dish everyone will love!
- 4 med-large russet potatoes, skins on and well scrubbed
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1/4 cup good quality grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Cut potatoes into wedges by slicing in half and then into 1/4" wedges.
- Add cut potato wedges to a large bowl and cover completely with cold water. Set aside for 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line large baking sheet (or two if needed) with Silpat, non-stick foil, or parchment paper. Set aside.
- Drain potato wedges. Take paper towels and dry potatoes well. You do not want them wet, or they will steam in oven and not get crispy.
- To large bowl, (you can use the same one you soaked the potatoes in if you dry it well), add potatoes, olive oil, garlic powder, and Parmesan cheese. Mix well and dump onto prepared baking sheet.
- Arrange wedges in a single layer, being careful to leave space between each wedge. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. (you can also sprinkle with a little additional cheese, if you like)
- Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes or until wedges are nicely browned. Serve immediately.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 35 mins.
Total time: 75 mins.
Tags: potatoes, side dish, garlic, Parmesan, baked, healthy
*I'm not going to supply nutrition information, as it will vary with the size potato you use.
Renee's Notes: Oiy! It's been super busy this summer, but unfortunately not so much in my kitchen! As usual, my kids are keeping me busy with all their moving and life events and that is why posts have been a little scarce lately. I am so blessed with so many wonderful things in my life...but like always, it seems to go by so swiftly. I'm trying to savor every moment as it goes by in a blink of an eye!
Looking for more potato goodness?
|Easy Potato Pancakes|
|Roasted Rosemary Dijon Potatoes|
Like what you see? Follow RKA on all these social networks!!