Summer Vegetable Saute takes all your favorite summer veggies and brings them to a new level with this quick, healthy and easy saute! This recipe makes a wonderful side dish for just about anything and is even great on it's own as a meal.
One of my favorite things about summer is the abundant local produce. Corn is a huge crop in this area and I love to take advantage of it's sweet goodness and great prices this time of year, but eating fresh sweet corn off the cob can get a little boring after awhile. That's where this saute comes in! It takes all those wonderful summer veggies like corn, zucchini and peppers and transforms them into a quick "ratatouille" type side dish.
Although fresh tomatoes are wonderful tasting and abundant this time of year, I chose to use canned tomatoes for this recipe because of the seasonings and the liquid in the can which creates a sort of nice "sauce" for the saute. You could use fresh tomatoes in this dish if you prefer. You will just need to cook them a tad longer and the end result would be a little less saucy.
This recipe is very versatile! Try this dish on it's own as a healthy meal. Just add a rinsed and drain can of Cannellini beans for a complete meatless meal or add some leftover cubed cooked chicken breast to the mix! Change the red peppers to green or add in some yellow squash with the zucchini. Sprinkle the finished dish with a little Parmesan cheese! Make it how you like it!
Summer Vegetable Saute
Fresh summer vegetables cooked quickly with garlic and herbs for a quick, healthy delicious side dish.
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion (such as Vidalia)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 large ears of fresh sweet corn, shucked and kernels removed from ear
- 1 large or two medium zucchini, diced
- 1 medium sweet red bell pepper, diced
- 1- 15oz. can of chopped tomatoes in olive oil and basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- couple of dashes of hot sauce, if desired
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. When pan is hot, add in onion and cook for about 3 minutes, or until the onion starts to become translucent.
- Add in the garlic and stir for another minute.
- Add in the pepper, corn, and zucchini. Stir to combine. Cook for another 5-6 minutes, or until the vegetables are crisp tender.
- Add in the can of tomatoes and their juice. Stir and cook until just heated through. Take off heat.
- Stir in chopped fresh basil and taste for salt and pepper. Add to your liking. Add in hot sauce, if using.
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 05 mins.
Total time: 15 mins.
Tags: vegetables, corn, zucchini, tomatoes, basil, peppers, side dish, healthy
Like what you see? Follow RKA on all these social networks!!