Steak...Asparagus...Blue Cheese...Salad are all the things I love bundled up on one delicious plate of goodness!
Let's face it, a great steak salad begins with a great steak! I prefer to use Certified Angus Beef® brand flat iron steaks for this salad. Why, you ask? Because, I LOVE the taste, tenderness and price of a flat iron. Even though it is my preferred cut for this salad, if you can't find flat iron steaks at your grocers, you can easily substitute sirloin or ribeye. This steak can be cooked outdoors on the grill or on the stove top. On the grill is my preferred method for cooking a flat iron steak that has been seasoned with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. However, living in NE Ohio, there are many times I have to cook my steak indoors. To do this, I heat a heavy skillet (usually a cast iron pan) with and oil/butter mixture and cook to my desired doneness (which is med/rare, rare). Of course, you can cook your steak to whatever degree of doneness you like!
I made my own balsamic dressing and ciabatta croutons for this salad, but there are many good brands out there with the work already done for you! Not a blue cheese fan? Substitute freshly shaved Parmesan instead!
When purchasing fresh asparagus, look for tops that are tightly closed. Springtime is the best time to purchase fresh asparagus, as it is in season and at it's peak! This also means the price is reasonable at the markets.
This Grilled Steak, Asparagus, and Blue Cheese Salad really does remind me of the salads you might order in a steakhouse! It's impressive enough to serve company and pairs perfectly with a nice glass of your favorite red wine! It's also quick and easy to prepare...making it a great menu choice for springtime!
Grilled Steak, Asparagus, and Blue Cheese Salad
Grilled Steak, Asparagus, and Blue Cheese Salad stars Flat Iron steak cooked to perfection sitting atop a dinner salad made with tender butter lettuce, fresh asparagus, grape tomatoes, blue cheese, red onion and ciabatta croutons.
- 10 oz. Flat Iron Steak (I use Certified Angus Beef® brand for best results) seasoned with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, cooked to your liking
- 4 cups butter lettuce, torn into bite sized pieces
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2
- 1 tsp. olive oil or other oil
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 10 red onion slices
- 1/2 cup ciabatta croutons
- Dressing of your choice (I used balsamic vinaigrette)
- Season flat iron steak with salt and pepper and cook to your liking. Can be done on an outdoor grill or in a pan on the stove. Cover with foil and allow to rest while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- In a large, non-stick skillet, heat the oil over med-high heat. Add the asparagus and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until the asparagus is crisp tender. About 5 - 7 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Slice steak.
- Assemble the salad: Divide lettuce between two plates. Divide asparagus between the two plates. Divide the tomatoes, steak, blue cheese, onions, and ciabatta croutons between the two plates. Serve immediately with dressing of your choice.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Total time: 30 mins.
Like what you see? Follow RKA on all these social networks!!