From Scratch Cinnamon Rolls adapted from KAF
Servings - 8 rolls Serving size - 1 roll Pointsplus per svg - 9 points+ (unfrosted) or 11 points+ (frosted)
( Nut stats for one unfrosted roll) Calories - 321.6, Total Fat - 7.7g, Carb. - 59.1g, Protein - 6.0g, Fiber - 1.5g
2 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast
3/4 cup lukewarm water
1/4 cup lukewarm skim milk
3 TBS. sugar
3 1/2 cups KAF bread flour
5 TBS. unsalted butter, sliced into 5 pieces, at cool room temperature
1 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
For the filling:
1/4 cup brown sugar, loosely packed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 TBS cinnamon
1 TBS cinnamon
2 tsp. all purpose flour
2 TBS. skim milk ( to brush onto dough)
For frosting (optional):
1 cup powdered sugar
2 TBS. skim milk
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1. In a 4 cup glass measuring cup, add water and milk. Add the 3 TBS sugar and stir to combine. Whisk in the yeast and allow to sit for 5 to 10 min.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the flour and the salt. With the dough hook in place, combine them. Add the butter with the mixer running, one piece at time. Slowly pour the milk/water mixer in while the mixer is running until sticky dough forms. ( you may need to add more water. Do this in TBS until the dough forms)
3. Continue to knead on med speed for 5 to 7 minutes. Dough will be soft, but should pull away from the sides and not be sticky. (Adjust the flour/water to achieve desired consistency if needed. Flour will hold more or less water depending on the humidity and temperature of your kitchen. )
4. Remove dough to a large greased bowl ( cooking spray) covered with plastic wrap and let sit in a warm place until doubled in size. About 1 hour. ( again, the amount of time needed to get the dough to double depends on your kitchen. I like to turn my oven on and preheat it to 400, then turn it off. I then place my bowl of dough on TOP of the oven, where the surface is now warm...this helps me to achieve a good rise, even when my kitchen is cool. )
5. After dough has risen, punch it down, and roll out on a greased surface ( cooking spray works well ) Roll out to a 16" x 12" rectangle. Combine the filling ingredients in a small bowl. Brush the surface of the rectangle with the skim milk. Sprinkle evenly with the sugar, brown sugar, flour mixture. Starting at the long side, roll up, firmly but not too tight. Pinch the seam where the dough meets to keep the dough together.
6. Now you should have an approx 16" roll. Cut it in half and then cut each half again and then again with a serrated knife in a back and forth motion. You now have 8 cinnamon rolls.
7. Spray a 9" x 13" glass baking dish with cooking spray and arrange the rolls in the pan so they have a bit of room between each. Cover with plastic wrap sprayed with cooking spray and allow to rise...about an hour.
8. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake rolls in oven for about 25 - 30 min or until they are brown around the edges and beginning to turn golden brown across the center. If frosting , combine frosting ingredients and drizzle over the rolls when they are done.