A mini muffin + the distinct taste of a cake donut = LOVE! I came across this recipe on Tasty Kitchen a few days ago....and I DID say I should make muffins more often, so I bookmarked the recipe and made it today. Easy and I think they are really cute all dusted in powdered sugar...they sort of remind me of donut holes.
Make sure you use fresh grated nutmeg! Really, it makes a ton of difference. I buy the nutmeg in the whole nut form and then grate what I need on my microplane. Once nutmeg is ground up, it quickly looses flavor, so even if you buy a fresh bottle of ground nutmeg at the store, it will not taste as good or strong as the freshly grated nutmeg! And the nutmeg in it's whole form will last a LONG time in your spice cabinet!
I didn't really lighten up the original recipe....but I did use skim milk. The recipe wasn't specific to the fat content of the milk it called for. The original recipe did tell you to make regular sized muffins...but I really thought mini's would be cuter AND more diet friendly since I wasn't reducing any of the called for fats in the recipe. I think you could sub out some of the oil for applesauce....and if you do, let me know how they come out. But I think these little babies are fine just as they are!
The original recipe also called for the muffins to be baked at 350 degrees F, which seemed like a pretty low oven for muffins to me...so I increased the oven temp to 400 degrees F and baked them for 10 -15 minutes. I will tell you though, I have been having some issues with my oven lately, so please make sure to check them often since I am going by how my oven baked them.
The powdered sugar coating is not included in the nutritional info, because I didn't use much of the original amount called for...but you will need to put at least that much in the bowl in order to properly coat the mini muffins. There will be quite a bit of powdered sugar left over.
"Cake Donut" Mini Muffins
adapted from Tasty Kitchen
Servings - approx. 30 mini muffins Serving size - 1 mini muffin Points Plus per svg - 2 points+
Calories - 71.9 Total Fat - 2.7g, Carb. - 10.9g, Protein - 1.2g, Fiber - 0.2g
1 3/4 cup all purpose, unbleached flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg ( I might have put a bit more in...I like nutmeg!)
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/3 cup canola oil
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cups skim milk
1 cup powdered sugar ( not included in nutritional info as you will use only a small portion of this )
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray the wells of a nonstick coated mini muffin pans with cooking spray. Do not use liners for this recipe, because you want to coat the entire muffin with powdered sugar.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon with a whisk. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl ( or I used a 4 cup glass measure ), combine the oil, sugar, egg and skim milk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
4. Fill the wells of the mini muffin pans with about a TBS or so of batter, pretty much up to the top. Bake for 10 -15 minutes...checking often.
5. While still warm, roll in powdered sugar to coat and let cool on wire rack.
I think these little guys are so cute. They taste just as good cool as they do warm. I think they would be perfect to take to a party or bring to a meeting or just make them for fun! I think everything is cuter when it's a mini, don't you? lol