This is one very quick and tasty meal you can have on the table in no time.
Inspired by one of the chef's I love (and it's not just because he is a hometown boy) Michael Symon. Normally, I don't keep the TV on during the day, but every now and then, I have it playing in the background. It just so happened the other day was one of those days.
The Chew was on.
I saw Michael Symon make this amazing dish and instantly knew I wanted to give it a try. Perfectly cooked steak, an over easy egg, and an arugula salad dressed with a bacon vinaigrette. Vinegary dressing mixed with a rich, soft, runny egg yolk is something you MUST try at least once in your life!
My mouth was watering!
Chef Symon used minute steaks, but I have grown very fond of the flat iron cut of meat and that is what I used in my version. They are relatively inexpensive, always tender and cook up quick. I let the steak rest for about 10 minutes after grilling it and then sliced it across the grain. A serving is about 3 oz. of meat.
To help keep the fat and calories in check with this dish, I did not use the bacon grease from cooking the bacon in my dressing like Chef Symon did. Instead, I opted for more heart healthy extra virgin olive oil for the fat portion of the dressing. I only used 2 strips of bacon (left over from the weekend) which I zapped in the microwave for a couple of seconds to re-crisp. A vinaigrette traditionally calls for a ratio of 2 parts fat to 1 part acid, but I like to reverse it and use more acid and less fat.
Wow...is about all I have to say, because this was an AH-mazing weeknight meal that took minutes to prepare!
Flat Iron Steak with Egg and Arugula Salad
adapted from HERE
Servings - 4 Serving Size - 3oz. flat iron steak, one egg, and 1-1/2 cups of salad w/dressing Points Plus per Serving - 8 Points+
Calories - 319.2, Total Fat - 19.9g, Carb. - 3.5g, Protein - 30.2g, Fiber - 0.8g
12 oz. flat iron steak
4 large eggs
6 cups arugula
2 strips of bacon, cooked to crisp and crumbled
2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
4 TBS red wine vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1. Heat up grill pan or heavy skillet. Spray with cooking spray. Season flat iron with salt and pepper. Cook flat iron steak to desired doneness. (I like med-rare) Remove steak and allow to rest for about 10 minutes, loosely covered in foil.
2. In small bowl, or small canning jar, combine the olive oil, vinegar and Dijon mustard. Whisk or shake to mix. Add in the bacon. Heat in microwave for a few seconds (I put it in for 20 seconds), just to warm it up and allow the bacon to start to flavor the dressing. Set aside.
3. In skillet you cooked steak in (or another skillet if you used a grill pan) spray with cooking spray and heat to med-high. Cook eggs to desired doneness. (I go over-easy)
4. Mix arugula with the dressing. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Slice up the steak, across the grain, into thin slices. Put about 3 oz. on each plate. Put about 1 1/2 cups dressed arugula on each plate. Top it all with an egg. Serve immediately.
I will most definitely be making this recipe again. I absolutely loved the flavors together. This is a very low carb meal, so adding a piece of crusty bread to go along side it would be a wonderful accompaniment.
Are you a fan of greens and eggs? I love them together!