Still looking for a sweet treat to serve your favorite Valentine tomorrow? Dark Chocolate Chip Cherry Cake Mix Cookies are an easy way to say, "I love you!"
These soft and chewy cookies start with a boxed cherry chip cake mix. With the addition of melted butter, an egg, some chopped up maraschino cherries, dark chocolate chips you've got cookies in no time. I've never been a big fan of boxed cake mixes, but I have to admit, using them for cookies is starting to grow on me.
This recipe will yield approximately 3 dozen cookies.
Dark Chocolate Chip Cherry Cake Mix Cookies
Yield: approx. 3 dozen cookies
Servings - approx. 36 Serving Size - 1 cookie Points Plus per Serving - 3 Points+
Calories- 100.5, Total Fat - 5g, Carb. - 14.2g, Protein - 1.1g, Fiber - 0.5g
1- 15.25oz. box Cherry Chip Cake mix (I used Betty Crocker)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg
10-12 maraschino cherries, finely chopped
8 oz. dark chocolate chips (I used Hershey's Special Dark)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment or use a silpat liner.
- In large bowl, combine the cake mix, butter, and egg with an electric mixer. Beat until the mixture comes together to form a dough. (If it seems too stiff, add a TBS of "juice" from the cherries).
- Stir in the chopped cherries and the chips.
- Form by heaping TBS into balls. Place at least 2" apart on prepared baking sheets. Press down slightly with fingers.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until set. (I baked them for exactly 10 minutes in my oven, but ovens vary) They may look a little under done when you take them out, but they will firm up as they cool. Do NOT overbake!
- Allow to cool on baking sheet for 2-3 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
- Store covered.
Looking for more cake mix cookies? Try this White Chocolate Chip Red Velvet Crinkle recipe.
No big plans for tomorrow here. Just staying in with my family and loving on them...and maybe enjoying a few of these cookies!