As per my usual Sunday morning, I set out to make my family what has become referred to as our "BIG breakfast." It's become a tradition of sorts. If you are here, there's no option not to join us at the table! During the week, I had made an extra corned beef (on St. Patty's Day) for Corned Beef Hash for "big breakfast." I wanted to make a muffin to go along side but I didn't want to make a dense, high calorie muffin since the Corned Beef Hash was anything BUT light. I knew I wanted it fruity. I did a quick search on Allrecipes using the fruits I had on hand, and found a promising recipe...however, it was anything but light...312 calories and 10.5g of fat per muffin!
It was a recipe ripe for tweaking, however, so that is what I did. I was pleased with the outcome and knew I would be sharing.
While these muffins are good warm from the oven, because of the fruit in them, they are even better the next day! Moist and delicious. I can see this muffin recipe quickly becoming one of my go-to recipes for sure! Take note, these muffins won't raise much in the oven. They only call for baking soda and not powder, so don't expect a high crown, it won't happen.
Lightened Up Apple Pie Muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground nutmeg
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 TBS canola oil (or vegetable oil or coconut oil)
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 cups fine diced apples, about 2 medium apples peeled and cored. (I used my chopper to get them fine diced)
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 TBS granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 12 cup standard muffin tin with paper liners.
- In large bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, salt, 1 tsp. cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl or 4-cup measuring cup, combine the buttermilk, egg, unsweetened applesauce, oil, and vanilla. Add in the sugar and stir until it is dissolved.
- Add the wet mixture to the center of the dry mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in the apples, raisins and walnuts.
- Fill muffin tins to the top with batter. (These muffins will not raise a lot because they have no baking powder in them, just soda) Combine the granulated sugar with 1 tsp. cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle the muffin batter evenly with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Bake in oven for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centers some out clean.
- Allow to cool on wire rack for about 15-20 minutes before eating. Store covered. They are even better the next day!
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 15 mins.
Total time: 40 mins.
Tags: muffins, breads, apple, cinnamon, breakfast
Adapted from Allrecipes
Servings - 12 - 13 muffins Serving size - 1 muffin Points Plus per Serving - 6 P+
Calories - 206.9, Total Fat - 3.7g, Carbs - 45.4g, Protein - 4g, Fiber - 2.7g