Pineapple Rice Pilaf is a tasty side dish that compliments just about anything! Pineapple and pineapple juice give it a slight sweetness that makes it a nice change from your ordinary rice side dish. It could not be any easier to make either, and since it's made from scratch, it is much lower in sodium than any of those boxed rice side dishes on the market.
The secret to a good rice pilaf is in browning the orzo pasta. Make sure to let your pasta got nice and golden brown for best flavor. I love serving this dish with chicken or teriyaki beef skewers!
If you aren't a fan of green pepper, you can definitely leave it out, or replace it with a jalapeno pepper for some extra kick and a sweet-hot flavor experience. For the pineapple and pineapple juice, I used a 20 oz. can of crushed pineapple packed in 100% juice. When I drained the juice, I got enough for the pilaf and was able to use a cup of the drained pineapple in this recipe with just a little left over for another time. (Put it on plain Greek yogurt! YUM!)
Once you've made this dish, I know it will rise to the top of your favorite side dishes. Sometimes it's the side dish that elevates a meal and takes a boring meal to one that is exciting!
Pineapple Rice Pilaf
- 2 TBS unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice (I like Rice Select's - Texmati®)
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 cup low sodium, fat free chicken broth
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/4 cup diced green pepper
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh parsley, for garnish, if desired
- In large non-stick skillet, on med-high heat, cook butter until melted and bubbly. Add in the orzo and allow it to cook to a golden brown. Add in the onion and cook for a few more minutes until it becomes translucent. Stir in the garlic, rice, pineapple juice, chicken broth, crushed pineapple, and green pepper.
- Bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat. Cook covered for about 20 minutes or until rice is tender and all the liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Total time: 30 mins.
Tags: rice, pineapple, sidedish, side, pilaf
Adapted from Allrecipes
Servings - 6 servings Serving Size - 1/6th of recipe ( a little more than a 1/2 cup) Points Plus per Serving - 5 Points+
Calories - 173.8, Total Fat - 4.2g, Carb. - 31.1g, Protein - 3.2g, Fiber - 1.3g
Today is my middle son's 20th birthday! Wow. Where does the time go? I honestly remember bringing him home from the hospital like it was yesterday.
Happy Birthday Jacob!