I don't know about you, but there is nothing like sipping on some lemonade in the summertime! I think summertime and lemonade were made for each other. The addition of mint and some carbonated soda really takes this drink over the top. It's not too sweet, so if you prefer your beverages a little sweeter, you can add more sugar. I think it's also perfectly acceptable to replace the sugar with stevia or agave or any other sweetener you prefer.
Make sure you save some slices of lemon and some fresh mint to garnish. I think it looks so pretty together!
You'll need to sip on this as soon as you add the club soda, or you will miss all that lovely effervesence. If you want to make a pitcher up ahead of time, just wait to add the bubbly right before you are ready to serve!
I loved this take on Leandra's recipe...and so will you! Next time I make this I am totally using basil, as called for in Lenadra's version because I love the taste of both mint and basil! I've paired fruit with basil in the past (Fresh Strawberry Basil Sorbet) and I know it works well. I might even add a splash or two of vodka as well!
Sparkling Mint Lemonade
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup fresh mint, plus additional for garnish
- 1 liter bottle of club soda or a unsweetened sparkling water (try a citrus flavored one for extra citrus zing in your lemonade)
- 1 cup FRESH squeezed lemon juice ( I got enough from about 3 large lemons)
- lemon slices for garnish, if desired
- In a medium saucepan, combine the 2 cups of water, the sugar and the mint. Heat to just boiling, stirring occasionally,then turn off and allow the mixture to sit for 20-30 minutes off the heat.
- Strain the mint sugar water mixture into a 2 quart pitcher. Discard the wilted mint.
- Add the lemon juice to the pitcher. (at this point you can refrigerate until ready to serve and then add the club soda) Add the club soda and a few scoops of ice. Garnish as desired, serve over ice and enjoy!
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Total time: 40 mins.
Adapted from Love and Flour
Servings - 8-9 cups Serving size - 1 cup Points Plus per Serving - 2 Points+
Calories - 79, Total Fat - 0g, Carb - 21.4g, Protein - 0.1g, Fiber - 0.1g
Looking for more refreshing summertime drinks? Try these:
Watermelon Mojito from The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch
Peach Lemonade from The Foodie Affair