This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and it's advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #FamilyFavorites #CollectiveBias
Stuffed peppers have long been a family favorite around my house. I think I make them at least once every couple of months. They are an easy, economical, tasty way to get dinner on the table, especially when green peppers are in season, locally sourced, and priced so well at the store!
When I started thinking about how I could jazz up this comfort food favorite of ours, my mind went in the direction of Italian flavors. (My family tells me that Italian is one of the cuisines I do well!) Why not substitute tomato soup (what I normally use to cover my peppers in) with some pasta sauce and replace the ground beef with my favorite Italian seasoned turkey sausage? It sounded like a winning combination to me!
This meal was outstanding. There is so much flavor from the Italian turkey sausage and the pasta sauce that no other seasoning is needed for the stuffing. When I went to Walmart to grab ingredients for my meal, I decided to go with a traditional flavored sauce. I chose Classico® Family Favorites Traditional Pasta Sauce for my masterpiece! It was a great choice!
I not only used Classico® pasta sauce on top of the stuffed peppers prior to baking, but I also added some to the stuffing itself and then served the remaining sauce on top of the finished peppers! The meal was complete with some mashed potatoes (because I cannot eat stuffed peppers without mashed potatoes!) and some mixed veggies on the side!
We all enjoyed this meal...and the best part? LEFTOVERS! As you can tell by my son's "thumbs up" he enjoyed this meal twice! haha
Save money with this Heinz Classico coupon when you buy two jars of Classico Family Favorites!
Are you a fan of stuffed peppers? Do you enjoy flavor twists on traditional recipes?
Italian Sausage Stuffed Peppers with Pasta Sauce
Delicious tender green pepper halves stuffed with Italian turkey sausage then smothered in Classico® Family Favorites Traditional Pasta Sauce and mozzarella cheese!
- 4 large green bell peppers, halved long side, with seeds, stem and membranes removed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds ground, Italian turkey sausage
- 1 cup fully cooked brown rice
- 1-24oz. jar Classico® Family Favorites Traditional Pasta Sauce, divided
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded, part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Chopped fresh basil, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place pepper halves, skin side down, in a baking dish big enough for all eight halves. (I used a 9" x 13" glass baking dish for mine) Sprinkle peppers with salt and pepper.
- In large bowl, mix the ground Italian turkey sausage, cooked brown rice, 1/2 cup pasta sauce, egg, and Parmesan cheese to make filling.
- Divide filling equally between the pepper halves. Top the stuffed peppers with 1 cup of pasta sauce. Cover dish tightly with foil.
- Bake in preheated oven for about an hour to an hour and 15 minutes, or until sausage is cooked through and the peppers are fork tender. Remove from oven and remove foil.
- Set oven to broil, and divide the mozzarella cheese equally between the peppers. Put in oven under the broiler until the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 2-3 minutes.
- In small saucepan, heat the remaining pasta sauce. Set aside.
- To serve, top peppers with additional sauce and garnish with chopped fresh basil, if desired.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 15 mins.
Total time: 1 hrs. 33 mins.
Tags: sauce, family favorite, traditional, flavor, ingredient, pepper, sausage, cheese
This is an original recipe developed by Renee's Kitchen Adventures for Classico® through #cbias
Servings - 8 Servings Size - 1 stuffed pepper Points Plus per Serving- 6 Points+
Calories - 248.3, Total Fat - 10g, Carb. - 18.4g, Protein - 14.4g, Fiber - 2.9g
If you like this recipe...check out my Easy Gazpacho!
This post is being shared with:
#GetHimFed @ Hungry Harps
Let's Get Real #51 @365ish Days of Pinterest