It's the first Monday of the month and that means it's Secret Recipe Club time again! I've got an absolutely delicious recipe for you this month...Cherry Delicious Almond Cake from the blog
The Keenan's, Chris and Rachel, are the creative husband and wife team behind The Keenan Cookbook which was started as a way to chronicle all of their family recipes. Chris cooks, bakes and handles most of the technical stuff on their blog and Rachel photographs. I love that they work together on their site! Their where so many great recipes to choose from. I bookmarked their Buttermilk Cornbread and Caramelized Onion and Spinach Olive Oil Quick Bread to make for another time, but this time around, I decided to give one of their most popular recipes a go...
Berry Delicious Almond Cake.
Cherry Delicious Almond Cake is moist, tender and nicely sweetened. I was going to cut back on some of the sugar in the cake, but since I used sour pie cherries, I kept it at a full cup, which was perfect. I sprinkled a little powdered sugar on top to garnish, but you don't have to do that if you don't want to. It's amazing straight up, served warm or at room temperature. It's great for breakfast, for dessert or as an afternoon snack with a cup of coffee.
Thank you Chris and Rachel for an amazing recipe that I am sure to make again and again!
Cherry Delicious Almond Cake
Sour pie cherries are nestled in a sweet, moist, tender almond flavored cake and topped with sliced almonds.
- 6 TBS unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tsp pure almond extract
- 2 cups frozen, pitted, frozen pie cherries, thawed
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1-2 TBS turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a non-stick 9" cake pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter and the 1 cup of granulated sugar with an electric mixer on med speed until light and fluffy, about 3 - 5 minutes. Add in egg, buttermilk, and almond extract and mix with electric mixer until smooth.
- Sift in flour, baking powder, and salt into the wet mixture and with mixer on low, beat until combined and smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan and smooth out with spatula. Place thawed berries onto batter evenly and press down slightly.
- Sprinkle cake with almonds and then turbinado sugar Bake in oven for 50 -55 minutes or until golden brown and firm to touch in the middle. (should be springy but not wet)
- Let cake cool on rack until just warm or cooled to room temperature. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Total time: 65 mins.
Tags: cake, almond, cherry, dessert, almonds, sour cherries
If you like this recipe, you might enjoy these recipes too!
|Pumpkin Cinnamon Steusel Coffeecake|
|Skinny Tres Leches Poke Cake|
|New York Style Crumb Cake from Life Tastes Good|
|Blueberry Lime Coffeecake Surprise from Grumpy's Honeybunch|
|Cherry Cheesecake Brownies from Flavor Mosaic|
Like what you see? Follow RKA on all these social networks!!