It's time for another slow cooker recipe that is easy and diet friendly! Slow Cooker Sweet And Sour Chicken is a delicious combo of tender chicken thighs and veggies all cooked together in a delightful sweet and sour sauce. Serve over rice for an easy weeknight dinner!
The original recipe is a Cooking Light recipe. I made a few tweaks to make it to my liking. I really love the convenience of using the slow cooker to cook everything up except the rice. I really love to make things in my slow cooker during the fall and winter months. Extra bonus points if those meals are diet friendly too!
The peppers get quite soft, so if you prefer peppers with more of a bite, you might want to add them in halfway through the cooking time instead of in the beginning.
I often send meals over to my elderly in-laws and this was one meal I sent that my father-in-law loved, so it's a keeper and a repeater in my house for sure! Give it a try tonight!
Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken
An easy slow cooker recipe for sweet and sour chicken.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1" pieces
- salt and pepper (to your liking)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped sweet onion
- 1 (15 ounce) can of pineapple chunks in juice, drained (save juice for sauce)
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1" pieces
- 3 large carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2" pieces
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup reserved pineapple juice
- 3 TBS cornstarch
- 3 TBS apple cider vinegar
- 2 TBS reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 TBS grated peeled fresh ginger
- 3 cups hot cooked jasmine rice
- Spray crock of slow cooker with cooking spray. Add chicken thigh pieces to slow cooker and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add onion, carrots, pineapple, and green and red peppers to the crock.
- In a large glass 4 cup measuring cup or small bowl, combine the brown sugar, ketchup, pineapple juice, cornstarch, vinegar, soy and ginger. Pour mixture over the chicken and veggies in the crock and place the lid on.
- Cook on LOW for 6 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours. Serve over cooked rice.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 15 mins.
Total time: 6 hrs. 15 mins.
Tags: slow cooker, chicken, thighs, sweet and sour, carrots, pineapple, dinner, easy
Servings - 6 Serving Size - 2/3 cups chicken mixture and 1/2 cup rice Points Plus per Serving - 9 Points+
Calories - 332, Total Fat - 3.4g, Carb. - 57g, Protein - 18.4g, Fiber - 1.8g (nutrition information from Cooking Light)