This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and Quaker. All opinions are mine alone. #CollectiveBias #LoveMyCereal #QuakerUp
Quaker® Life cereal provides the sweet crunch in these delicious baked chicken nuggets. The spicy mustard dip takes them over the edge and compliments the flavors perfectly!
I know what you are thinking...breakfast cereal on chicken? If you are able to "think outside the box" for a minute, you'll see that this combination is seriously amazing!
These little gems are so crunchy, you'd swear they are fried, but they're not! Quaker® Life cereal helps keep the breading super crispy The fact that they are baked helps make them a better-for-you snack perfect for the big game, afternoon snack or kid-friendly dinner!
I've loved Quaker® Life cereal for as long as I can remember. When I was a kid, my brothers and I pretty much lived on cereal. My mom was a single working mother, so cereal really helped stretch the food budget. I have fond memories of going to the store and being able to pick out a box cereal for the week. Quaker® Life cereal was always a favorite choice for me. It made a great breakfast, quick lunch, after school snack and the occasional impromptu dinner.
These chicken nuggets are definitely kid friendly! The lightly sweet Quaker® Life cereal, with it's whole grain goodness, makes a great breading. Adults will appreciate the Spicy Mustard Dip to give your palate that wonderful sweet/spicy flavor profile.
Let me tell you how I put this recipe together. I'm glad I was able to grab everything I needed to make these chicken nuggets at my local Walmart.
This recipe has a few steps, but it comes together pretty quickly. Start by measuring out 1 1/2 cups of Quaker® Life cereal.
Grind the cereal up finely. (Your food processor does a great job of this for you!)
Once the cereal is ground into fine crumbs, add some panko bread crumbs and seasonings to make the "breading" for the nuggets.
Cut boneless, skinless chicken breasts into 1-2" pieces to form the nuggets. (Make sure you wash your hands, utensils and boards after handling the raw chicken to prevent cross-contamination.)
For this recipe, you will do the three step breading procedure...flour, egg, and breading mixture. This method will help the breading "stick" to the chicken better. First dredge the chicken pieces in a little flour...
Next, coat in egg. (I like to use liquid egg substitute because I think it coats better, but 1 large egg will work just fine too!)
Then, roll in the cereal breading...
and place on an oven safe rack, that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Spray the nuggets with cooking spray and pop into a 425 degree F oven for 10- 15 minutes.
While the chicken is cooking, whisk together all the ingredients for the spicy mustard sauce.
You will want to give this one a try! We all loved these nuggets at our house and I know this recipe will become a family favorite. Sometimes it's so fun to find new ways to enjoy foods we've grown up and loved for years.
Of course, I will still enjoy a bowl of Quaker® Life cereal in the morning with cold milk or a handful, eaten straight up, in the afternoon because it's like an old friend that reminds me of my childhood.
How about you? How will you enjoy Quaker® cereal?
Sweet n' Crunchy Chicken Nuggets with Spicy Mustard Dip
Sweet and crunchy these baked chicken nuggets are a crowd pleaser. The Spicy Mustard Dip compliments them perfectly!
- For the chicken nuggets:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken nuggets, cut into 1-2
- 1 1/2 cups Quaker® Life cereal
- 1/4 plain Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute OR 1 large egg, beaten and mixed with 1 TBS water
- Cooking spray
- For the sauce:
- 3/4 cup Olive Oil Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. horseradish sauce
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line large baking sheet with foil or parchment (for easy clean up). Place oven safe rack onto prepared baking sheet. Spray well with cooking spray.
- In food processor, grind up Quaker® Life cereal until fine crumbs. Set aside.
- In large shallow bowl or pie plate, combine the cereal crumbs, Panko, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and smoked paprika. Mix with fork to combine.
- Add flour to a small shallow bowl. Add egg substitute to another small shallow bowl. Set up a breading station with flour, egg substitute, and "breading" mixture.
- Dredge chicken pieces in flour, then egg substitute OR egg, and then in "breading". Place on prepared rack. Spray nuggets well with cooking spray.
- Bake in oven for 10 -15 minutes or until chicken is done. (Internal temperature of 165 degrees F)
- While chicken is baking, whisk together all ingredients for Spicy Mustard Sauce in small bowl. If desired, reserve some green onion for garnish.
Yield: About 4 servings
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 15 mins.
Total time: 30 mins.
Tags: chicken, cereal, Quaker, Life, nuggets, sweet, spicy, appetizer