Pickled Red Onion Deviled Eggs are a delicious variation on plain deviled eggs. A creamy egg yolk filling is piped inside a tender egg white half and then topped with sweet and crunchy, quick pickled red onions for a crowd pleasing snack or appetizer.
I've always been in love with deviled eggs. When I was a kid and my mom would make potato salad and she would always top the salad with a few deviled eggs. I fought my brothers for those eggs every time! They were like little treasures sitting atop the salad.
It's a shame deviled eggs are traditionally reserved for things like topping potato and macaroni salads or for holiday appetizers, because they are a really great snack or party food anytime of the year!! Heck, I've even been known to make a breakfast out of them now and again!
These Pickled Red Onion Deviled Eggs are so good you won't want to wait until a special occasion to make them! The pickling process takes MINUTES and you just will not believe how incredibly delicious these pickled onions are! Sweet, briney, crunchy and the most gorgeous pink color you will ever see!
They make the perfect accompaniment to the creamy center of deviled eggs. Today, I've made my deviled eggs using Maille® Dijon Mustard and Maille® Cornichons. (Disclosure: I was given Maille® products to facilitate this review. All opinions are mine alone.) Maille® makes some outstanding mustards and the Dijon variety tops my list of must have products! It tastes wonderful and is the perfect mustard for so many dishes I make. Maille® Cornichons are tiny little gherkin pickles that aren't sweet at all. In fact, they are quite savory, which makes them an excellent pickle to use in this recipe. You can find both products in the condiment aisle of your local grocery store or visit the Maille® website for more information.
With football season at our doorstep, these Pickled Red Onion Deviled Eggs are a great choice for tailgating! But why wait for a special occasion? Whip up a batch of these fabulous eggs today and serve them to someone you love!
Pickled Red Onion Deviled Eggs
Deviled eggs made with zesty Maille Dijon, Maille Cornichons and crunchy quick pickled red onions! A wonderful flavor sensation!
- 6 extra large hard boiled eggs, peeled
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced and diced red onions
- 1/3 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 TBS granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 TBS. Maille® Dijon Mustard
- 3 Maille® cornichons, roughly diced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- salt and pepper, to taste
- smoked paprika, if desired
- To quick pickle the onions: Combine the rice vinegar, sugar and kosher salt in a glass measuring cup. Stir to dissolve the sugar and salt into the vinegar. Microwave on HIGH until the mixture begins to boil. (about 2 minutes) Remove from microwave and add the red onions. Let sit until mixture comes to room temperature. Drain and put into a small bowl.
- Halve the eggs, long ways. Pop out the yolks, reserving the whites for filling, and put into a food processor. Add in the mustard, chornichons, mayonnaise and 1 heaping TBS of the pickled red onion. Process until the mixture is combined and smooth. Taste for salt and pepper and add as desired. Remove to a zipper top quart sized plastic bag.
- Snip the corner of the bag, and pipe into the reserved whites. Garnish with the remaining pickled red onions. Sprinkle with smoked paprika, if desired.
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Total time: 10 mins.
Tags: eggs, onions, appetizer, snack, party food, holiday menu, Maille
I used the leftover pickled red onions from this recipe to top a salad!!! They added a yummy sweet crunch to my salad that I loved!
Like what you see? Follow RKA on all these social networks!!