Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli is a flavorful meal the whole family will enjoy! Strips of flat iron steak are cooked low and slow in a delicious sweet and savory sauce until they are fork tender and then are served over rice and steamed broccoli for an easy dinner any day of the week.Cook time: 08 hrs. 00 mins.
It's time once again for another great recipe find with the Secret Recipe Club! This month, I was assigned to the wonderful blog, Fit Mama Real Food. This blog is written by the talented Heather; wife, mom and fitness instructor. She wears many hats, but she really knows food! We LOVED this Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli recipe so much it's become a regular on my menu rotation!
I've been really into Slow Cooker recipes lately. They are just so easy. Get everything in the crock in the morning and let it cook all day. Heather has a whole section in her blog devoted to Crockpot recipes! You've got to check it out!
I loved other areas of Heather's blog too. So many recipes that looked and sounded good to me! I have a few bookmarked as MUST TRY recipes: This Orange Carrot Bread that will be part of this year's holiday menu and Crockpot Sauerkraut Soup because, um...sauerkraut...love the stuff! But for today's reveal, we are going to talk Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli. Delicious!
I only made a few changes to the recipe. I used a form of chuck, like Heather calls for in the recipe, but since Certified Angus Beef ®Flat Iron Steaks were on sale at my grocery store last month, and I stocked my freezer with them, I used them in this recipe. It was a GREAT choice of meat, because it cooked up tender, but didn't fall apart like some beef can in the slow cooker. The other change I made was not adding the broccoli to the slow cooker. I steamed it separate and just added it to the rice before ladling the beef and sauce onto the plate. I wanted to keep the broccoli nice and green because it's such a beautiful contrast to the dark beef.
I did garnish this meal with toasted sesame seeds, like Heather, but added a few radish slices for color and crunch! So good!
Thanks Heather for a fabulous, easy slow cooker recipe.
I can't wait to make more recipes from your blog!
Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli
Tender sweet and savory beef strips and gravy served over steamed broccoli and rice
- 1 - 2 pounds Flat Iron Steaks, cut into 1/2 inch thick strips
- 1 cup beef consomme (you can sub beef broth)
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (not packed)
- 1 TBS sesame oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 TBS cornstarch
- 2 TBS water
- Fresh or Frozen broccoli florets, steamed until crisp tender (as many as you like)
- Hot cooked brown or white rice
- toasted sesame seeds and sliced radishes, for garnish, if desired
- Place beef strips in crock of slow cooker.
- In small bowl or 2 cup glass measure, combine the consomme, soy sauce, brown sugar, oil and garlic. Pour over meat.
- Put lid on and cook on LOW for 6 -7 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours, or until the meat is fork tender.
- Turn slow cooker up to HIGH. Combine the cornstarch and the water in a small bowl and stir to dissolve.
- Add to the beef mixture in the slow cooker and mix. Allow to cook for another 10-20 minutes, or until the sauce thickens.
- To serve, plate the rice, top with broccoli and then beef and gravy mixture. Finish with sesame seeds and radishes, if desired.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Total time: 8 hrs. 10 mins.
Tags: slow cooker, beef, broccoli, Asian, rice, soy sauce, dinner, easy recipe
Like what you see? Follow RKA on all these social networks!!