Delight your family and friends this season with these fun Santa's Swirl Sugar Cookies! Easy slice and bake cookie recipe is transformed into festive treats with colored sugar and some seasonal nonpareils.
Of all the cookies I bake during the holiday season, sugar cookies remain on my family's most loved list. Cut-out sugar cookies are so time consuming. I DO make them every year, because I think there would be a riot if I didn't, but every time I discover an easier way to get that sugar cookie fix for my family, I embrace it.
These cookies sound difficult, but they are really quite easy to make. There is a bit of rolling involved, but not quite the amount you do when you make cut-out cookies. I think they are so pretty with the swirl of color in them too!
I've photographed below, the set up with the dough and the colored sugars. There is no right or wrong way to add the sugars, you just scatter them in a sort of patchwork design and then roll up from either end and refrigerate until cold enough to slice and bake.
You'll want to be careful not to over-bake these cookies. Bake until the edges JUST start to brown for the prettiest cookies.
My family really enjoyed these sugar cookies, but they are still demanding I make cut outs too! haha
Santa's Swirl Cookies
Festive sugar cookies swirled with red and green sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- red and green colored sugar
- red, white and green nonpareils
- In large bowl, cream butter, salt, and sugar together with an electric mixer.
- Add in egg and extracts. Mix in flour and beat until dough comes together.
- Divide dough in half. Roll out one of the halves into an 8 x 8" square and sprinkle sugars like patchwork. (see the photo in the text for reference). Roll up jelly-roll style then roll in nonpareils and wrap in tightly in plastic wrap. Repeat with other half of dough.
- Refrigerate rolls for 2 or more hours, or until very firm.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment. Remove plastic wrap from rolls and slice into 1/4" slices, then lay on prepared cookie sheets about 2" apart.
- Bake in oven for 6 -8 minutes or until edges just start to brown. Allow to rest on cookie sheet for 2 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
Prep Time: 02 hrs. 10 mins. Cook time: 00 hrs. 08 mins.
Total time: 2 hrs. 18 mins.
Tags: cookies, sugar, dessert, Christmas, holidays, baking
Recipe adapted from Mom on Time Out
More holiday cookie recipes you might enjoy!
|Peppermint Shortbread Cookies|
|White Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies |
Like what you see? Follow RKA on all these social networks!!