Mushroom Swiss Quiche is a meatless option (vegetarian) that makes a wonderful breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner. Served warm or at room temperature, it's a classy way to enjoy eggs!
This week's Sunday Supper theme is "pies." I cannot think of a more delicious sort of "pie" than a wonderful quiche. When most of us think of pies (myself included) dessert pies come to mind. While I think fruit pies and cream pies are wonderful, I wanted to make something more non-traditional this week.
I think a quiche fully qualifies as a pie. It does have a wonderful pastry crust and a delightful filling. Homemade pastry crusts are great but don't discount the frozen pie crusts of today. They are flaky and delicious and almost as good as any homemade pie crust I have ever had. Plus, you cannot beat the convenience.
Two quiches are better than one! This recipe makes two 6-serving quiches. That is great news, because you can either feed a crowd or freeze the second one for another meal. This recipe freezes wonderfully! Cook once, eat twice!
Great meatless option for anytime of the day! During this time of year, many of us are searching for meals without meat. My family loves this quiche because the mushrooms give it a sort of hearty "meaty" feel, without the addition of actual meat. Quiches can be eaten any time of the day. I like to pair mine with a garden salad for a great brunch, lunch or dinner option. If I serve it for breakfast, I make some breakfast potatoes to go along side.
And...did I tell you it tastes great too? My family is always happy when I make them quiche and this Mushroom Swiss one is a winner!
Mushroom Swiss Quiche
A great meatless option for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Mushrooms give this quiche a hearty "meaty" quality while staying vegetarian.
- 2 Deep Dish Pie Shells, baked according to package directions
- 1 TBS unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup diced shallots
- 1 pound sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme or 1 tsp. fresh thyme
- 3 TBS cooking sherry
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 TBS all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp, kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Turn oven to 350 degrees F. (If you just baked the pie shells, then turn it down to 350 degrees F, if you baked the pie shells earlier in the day, preheat to 350 degrees F.)
- In a large skillet, heat the 1 TBS butter. Add in the shallots and saute until they start to become translucent. Add the mushrooms and thyme to skillet. Stir and cook until mushrooms are no longer raw and most of the moisture is absorbed. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. kosher salt and add in the sherry. Stir to combine and continue to cook until sherry has absorbed. Take off heat and set aside.
- In large glass measuring bowl or large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, flour, 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, ground pepper, and Dijon mustard.
- In small bowl combine the cheeses.
- Begin to assemble the quiches by layering 1/4th of the mushroom mixture into each pie shell. Followed by 1/4 of the cheeses, then 1/4th of the egg mixture and repeat layers until all ingredients are used up.
- Bake quiches on a baking pan in oven for 40 - 45 minutes or until set. Allow to cool at least 10 minutes before serving. Can be served warm or at room temperature. Second quiche can be frozen for later, if desired, by wrapping well in plastic and foil. When ready to reheat, thaw and bake at 350 degrees F for 20 -30 minutes, or until heated through.
Yield: 12 servings
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 20 mins.
Total time: 65 mins.
Tags: #sundaysupper, eggs, quiche, mushrooms, breakfast, lunch, dinner, cheese
Be sure to check out all the #SundaySupper Pies: Sweet & Savory!
Sweet As Pie
- Banana Cream Pie from Recipes Food and Cooking
- Blood Orange Pie from The TipToe Fairy
- Brown Sugar Pie from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Cherry Chocolate Brownie Pie from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Macadamia Nut Tart from Desserts Required
- Chocolate Pudding Pie from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Easy Lemon Pie from Basic N Delicious
- Fresh Lemon Hand Pies from From Gate to Plate
- German Sweet Chocolate Cream Pie from Meal Planning Magic
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Cherry Pie from NinjaBaker
- Gluten Free Mini Irish Cream Chocolate Mousse Pies from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grapefruit Pie from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Homemade Oatmeal Creme Pies from Pies and Plots
- Irish Cream Coffee Mud Pie from The Crumby Cupcake
- Leaf Topped Apple Pie from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Magic Cookie Bar Pie from Moore or Less Cooking
- Mixed Berry Hand Pies from My Imperfect Kitchen
- No Bake Blueberry Cheesecake Pie from Feeding Big and More
- No Bake Blueberry Mini Filo-Pies from Hardly A Goddess
- No-Bake Mixed Berry Cream Cheese Tart from Magnolia Days
- Orange Meringue Pie from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Paifala (Samoan Pineapple Half Moon Pies) from Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Pie from Sweet Mornings
- Perfect Manhattan Pie from The Texan New Yorker
- Pineapple Meringue Pie from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Quick Swiss Apple Pie from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Raspberry Cheesecake Pudding Pie from Flour On My Face
- Strawberry Mascarpone Tart from Taste And See
- Beef & Red Wine Pie from Wholistic Woman
- Cauliflower Cheese Pie with Grated Potato Crust from Food Lust People Love
- Chard and Parsnip Galette from Caroline’s Cooking
- Cornish Pasties from Palatable Pastime
- Homity Pie (British Potato Leek Pie) from Curious Cuisiniere
- Italian Cheesy Artichoke and Asparagus Phyllo Pie from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Italian Hand Pies from Brunch-n-Bites
- Irish Shepherd's Pie from The Freshman Cook
- Jamaican “No-Beef” Patties from What Smells So Good?
- Mini Swiss Quiches from Family Around The Table
- Mushroom Swiss Quiche from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Pizza Rustica from Monica’s Table
- Salmon Pot Pie from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Savory and Spicy Mincemeat Pie from eating in instead
- Shepherd’s Pie Hand Pies from Our Good Life
- Skillet Shepherd’s Pie from Life Tastes Good
- Spaghetti Pie from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Spicy Korean Cottage Pie from kimchi MOM
- Taco Hand Pies from Kitchen Gidget
- Weeknight Chicken Pot Pie from Books n' Cooks
- Plus: Baked Puerto Rican Meat Pies and More Pie Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement
Like what you see? Follow RKA on all these social networks!!