Buckeyes and brownies collide in this delicious fusion cookie! Buckeye Brownie Cookies are a decadent treat: Chewy chocolate-y brownie cookies topped with a big peanut butter buckeye!
I've been away for awhile, but I'm back showcasing another amazing blog with the Secret Recipe Club this month! I was assigned to the delicious blog, Smells Like Brownies, written by Melissa. Melissa is all about eating healthy and has a great selection of nutritious recipes on her blog, but she also knows all about balance and has some decadent recipes she shares too, like this one I made!
I bookmarked several recipes to try, like Wasabi Tuna Salad (I made it and LOVED it!) and Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Hazelnuts, but ultimately decided I was destined to make her Fudgy Brownie Buckeye Cookies because...um...HELLO...I live in Ohio and my son is a student at OSU! It was like the recipe was MADE for me! haha
Unfortunately, Melissa has never had a buckeye! (I'm sorry Melissa, you need to change that!) Which is just crazy to me, because here in Ohio, you can't grow up NOT knowing what a buckeye is! It's basically a peanut butter ball en-robed in rich chocolate covering and pretty much melts in your mouth when you bite into it. Yeah. It's good.
These cookies just take the buckeye I've grown up loving and elevate it up to a whole new level! I mean, chewy brownie cookies AND a buckeye is just pure genius! They are very rich though so make sure, if you make them, you leave some room for dessert!
Melissa left her cookies "un-robed" but keeping with the buckeye tradition, I finished mine with some melted milk chocolate I dropped onto each cookie to give it a little extra guild. My cookies turned out a little flat and more meringue like than Melissa's did. The flavor was outstanding though. I think when I make this recipe again, I might add a bit more butter to the batter and adjust the flour a little.
Thank you Melissa for this great recipe and for sharing your wonderful blog! I know I will be a frequent visitor now that I have discovered your delicious recipes!
Buckeye Brownie Cookies
Peanut butter Buckeyes and chocolate brownies collide in this fun peanut buttery chocolate cookie!
- 6 TBS unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 TBS creamy peanut butter (do not use all natural in this recipe)
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 TBS milk
- 1 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 TBS unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- Make the peanut butter balls by combining 6 TBS unsalted butter, creamy peanut butter, and pinch of salt in a large bowl with an electric mixer. Add in the powdered sugar and combine on low until the mixture becomes crumbly. Add the milk to help pull it all together.
- With a small cookie scoop (about 1 TBS) scoop out mixture and roll into balls and place on waxed paper lined baking sheet. You should get somewhere around 25 - 26 balls. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment or use a silpat. (This is VERY necessary, as the cookies have very little fat in them and they will stick if you don't use one of the two to cover the baking sheet)
- Melt the semisweet chocolate chips and butter together in a small bowl. ( I used a microwave and was just careful about how long I microwaved them, if you aren't comfortable with melting chocolate in the microwave, then melt them in a double boiler) Set aside the melted mixture to cool a little.
- In the same bowl you made the peanut butter balls with (no need to wash it if you got all the peanut butter mixture out) combine the sugar and eggs. Beat with an electric mixer until they are thick and pale. Fold in the melted chocolate and butter mixture. Add in the vanilla extract.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- With same scoop you used to make the peanut butter balls, scoop out batter and place on prepared sheets about 2" apart. Bake in oven for about 8 minutes or just until cookies are set and start to crackle. Take out of oven and place a peanut butter ball immediately onto the middle of each cookie and press down slightly. Allow the cookies to sit on pan for about 10 minutes, before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt the milk chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small bowl in microwave or in a double boiler. Drop chocolate by teaspoonfuls onto the peanut butter balls on the cookies. Allow the chocolate to set before eating.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 20 mins.
Total time: 28 mins.
Tags: cookies, peanut butter, buckeyes, brownies, SRC, chocolate, dessert
Like what you see? Follow RKA on all these social networks!!