It's no secret I have a love affair with lemon flavors! I have even devoted an entire Pinterest board to honor the deliciousness of lemons!
These bars are very easy to make! Mastering the art of cheesecake baking can be a little intimidating, but these bars are very forgiving. There is a bit of flour in the filling that helps hold the whole thing together, without the risk of deep cracks and crevices and makes them sturdy enough to be cut into bars and hold their shape.
The lemon swirl is simply store bought lemon curd (I love the curd from Trader Joe's, but you could also make your own!) mixed with a bit of the cheesecake filling and swirled into the the top before baking. You get a nice "pop" of lemon flavor with each bite!
Wouldn't these Creamy Lemon Swirl Cheesecake Bars be a great addition to your Spring holiday menu?
Creamy Lemon Swirl Cheesecake Bars
Creamy lemon cheesecake filling sits atop a shortbread crust for a delicious lemony treat!
- For the crust:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, COLD, cut into cubes
- For the filling:
- 16 oz. reduced fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 12 oz. evaporated milk (can be skim)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup lemon curd
- To make the crust: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large food processor, add 1 cup all purpose flour, powdered sugar, and salt and pulse to blend. Add in butter cubes process until butter is incorporated into the flour mixture and it looks like crumbs that stick together when pressed between your fingers.
- Lightly spray a 9" x 13" baking dish with cooking spray and line with parchment paper so two sides overhang the edge of the pan. Press the crust into the bottom of the pan. Bake for approx. 20 minutes.
- While crust is baking, prepare filling: In large bowl, with electric mixer, combine cream cheese, sugar and flour until smooth. Add in the evaporated milk, eggs, and vanilla and mix until smooth. Remove 1/4 cup of cheesecake filling and combine with the lemon curd in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Pour the cheesecake mixture onto the crust once you remove it from the oven. Take the lemon curd mixture and drop it in dollops onto the cheesecake filling. With a butter knife, "swirl" the mixture into the cheesecake filling.
- Return to oven and bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until the filling is set. Cool on wire rack for 30 minutes then refrigerate for several hours (at least 4). Cut into bars and enjoy!
Yield: 24 servings
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Total time: 1 hrs. 15 mins.
Tags: Cheesecake, lemon, dessert, bars, cookies, sweets, cream cheese
Like what you see? Follow RKA on all these social networks!!