Have you started planning your holiday menus yet? I can't believe how fast these holidays sneak up on us every year. Today, Sunday Supper Tastemakers are sharing their best holiday side dishes in an event hosted by Caroline's Cooking. We're presenting a tasty line-up of wonderful recipes to make holiday menu plannning easier. Easy Mushroom Rice Pilaf is my addition to the list!
This easy side dish shows up on all of my holiday tables. Everyone seems to love the earthy mushrooms nestled in buttery rice. This dish goes well with any kind of protein too...beef, pork, or poultry. That alone makes it a winner in my book!
This pilaf can be made in a skillet, on the stove-top, freeing up valuable oven space. If you are like me, planning a holiday meal can be alot like conducting an orchestra. Every move in the kitchen needs to be timed perfectly. Easy Mushroom Rice Pilaf helps pull that holiday meal off without a hitch. Not only does this pilaf save you oven space, but it can also be made ahead of time and just heated up before serving.
I hope that you give this easy recipe a try this year. I know it's already on our Thanksgiving menu.
Make sure you stop by all the Best Holiday Side Dish recipes below and see what everyone has brought to the virtuable table!
Easy Mushroom Rice Pilaf
Easy Mushroom Rice Pilaf is a great side dish for beef, pork, or poultry. Made with fresh mushrooms and cooked on the stove top.
- 2 TBS unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 8 oz. sliced cremini mushrooms (or white button mushrooms)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 cup white rice (I like Jasmine or Basmati)
- 2 cups chicken, beef, or vegetable stock (depending on the meat you are serving it with)
- fresh thyme or fresh parsley, for garnish
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In large non-stick skillet, on med-high heat, cook butter until melted and bubbly. Add in the orzo and allow it to cook to a golden brown. Add in the onion and mushrooms and cook for a few more minutes until the onion becomes translucent.
- Stir in garlic, dried thyme, rice and stock of choice.
- Bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat. Cook covered for about 20 minutes or until the rice and pasta are tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Fluff with fork and taste for seasoning. Add salt and pepper, as desired. Garnish with fresh thyme or parsley, if desired.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Total time: 30 mins.
More Holiday Side Dishes:
Fruity Side Dishes
- Cranberry Apple Relish by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Cranberry Fluff Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Easy Cheesy Pineapple Bake by This is How I Cook
- Pecan Cranberry Jello Salad by Curious Cuisiniere
- Slow Cooker Butternut Squash and Apples by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
Other Side Dishes
- Chestnut Stuffing by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Easy Mushroom Rice Pilaf by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- One Pot Macaroni and Cheese by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Potato Dinner Rolls by The Redhead Baker
- Sausage, Apple, and Cranberry Stuffing by Life Tastes Good
Potato Side Dishes
- Gingered Sweet Potatoes by Simple and Savory
- Marmalade Glazed Sweet Potatoes by Sunday Supper Movement
- Sour Cream and Chive Mashed Potatoes by Cookin’ Mimi
- Sour Cream and Onion Smashed Red Potatoes by Food Done Light
- Southern Praline Sweet Potato Casserole by The Weekend Gourmet
- Southwestern Potato Bake by The Freshman Cook
- Stacked Sweet Potatoes by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Sweet Potatoes with Cumin Sage Butter by Cooking Chat
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
Vegetable Side Dishes
- Acorn Squash and Brussel Sprout Side Dish by Caroline’s Cooking
- Bacon Balsamic-Roasted Brussels Sprouts by The Crumby Cupcake
- Braised Red Cabbage by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheese Bake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Candied Acorn Squash by Cricket’s Confections
- Cheesy Jalapeño Corn Casserole by Food Lust People Love
- German Green Bean Salad (Bohnensalat) by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Homemade Green Bean Casserole by Family Around The Table
- Loaded Mashed Cauliflower Casserole by My Life Cookbook
- Miso Glazed Corn by NinjaBaker.com
- Pan Roasted Carrots with Apple Molasses by Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pine Nuts and Cranberries by The Chef Next Door
- Roasted Carrots and Parsnips with Walnut Pesto by The Hungry Goddess
- Roasted Onions with Parsley Pesto by Monica’s Table
- Roasted Parsnips with Balsamic Vinegar and Rosemary by Wholistic Woman
- Roasted Pumpkin with Rosemary and Thyme by Feeding Big
- Spicy Balsamic Roasted Vegetables by Pies and Plots
- Sweet Corn Pudding by Brunch-n-Bites
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Like what you see? Follow RKA on all these social networks!!