Strawberry Apple Salsa is an easy, healthy, and festive appetizer idea perfect for all your holiday parties this year! Fresh Florida strawberries, tart granny smith apples, and spicy jalapeno peppers come together in this sweet and spicy salsa that is sure to be a hit with friends and family!
Living in NE Ohio used to mean once summer was over, so was the selection of good strawberries at the grocery store. Fortunately, that is no longer the case thanks to the dedicated strawberry growers in Florida. Since their season starts in November and ends in April, we can get fresh, sweet strawberries all year long now!
When I spotted these red, ripe beauties at my market the other day, I thought they'd make a great sweet and spicy salsa. Let's face it, tomatoes this time of year are just sort of meh. Since I am a huge fan of sweet and spicy foods, I thought replacing the tomatoes with sweet Florida strawberries and tart granny smith apples would be a winning combination.
I was right!
I love quick and easy holiday entertaining ideas, and this one is right up there with the best of them! This sweet and spicy dip that goes perfectly with store-bought tortilla chips. This salsa is so festive, with all the red and green! I am in love with this recipe and you will be too!
Strawberry Apple Salsa
Fresh strawberries, tart green apples, spicy jalapenos, onions cilantro and lime all come together in this fresh salsa perfect atop a salty tortilla chip!
- 1 lb. Fresh Florida Strawberries, diced
- 1/2 of a granny smith apple, diced
- 1 - 2 jalapeno peppers, small diced
- 1/2 of a red onion, diced
- a handful of fresh cilantro, rough chopped
- 1 -2 tsp. honey
- pinch of salt
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- Corn tortilla chips for dipping
- In large bowl, combine all ingredients up to corn tortilla chips. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend.*
- Serve with corn tortilla chips.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Total time: 40 mins.
*Note: As salsa sits, it will create liquid, like all fresh salsas do. You can drain some of the liquid off before serving, if desired.
Florida strawberries are such a great produce option in the winter. Not only are they sweet and delicious, they have many nutritional benefits as well. Did you know that just 8 medium strawberries contain more vitamin C than one whole orange? They are also fat free, low in calories and contain significant amounts of folic acid, potassium, and ellagic acid. Ellagic acid is known to help reduce the risk of cancer.
Strawberries are ranked 100 (the highest possible nutrient density score), along with spinach and blueberries in a system called the Overall Nutrition Quality Index (ONQI) according to Yale’s Prevention Research Center and several recognized health and nutrition experts. All these benefits in just one serving (1 cup) of strawberries! For more information, visit the Florida Strawberry Growers Association website.
Join me in following Florida Strawberries on all their social sites!
- Giveaway runs from December 12, 2016 to February 12, 2017
- Submit a photo directly through the link or on social media using the #FLStrawberryCap hashtag
- Everyone who enters gets a Florida Strawberry Cap! (Limit one per household)
- Enter to win the grand prize as many times as you’d like
- Be creative! Winning images will be hand selected!
- Go here for a complete list of terms and conditions
This post is sponsored by Florida Strawberry in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
Check out all the delicious Florida Strawberry recipes the Sunday Supper Tastemakers are sharing!
- Balsamic Strawberry Brie Bites by Casa de Crews
- Roasted Strawberry Chipotle Sauce by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Savory Strawberry Crostini by Cooking Chat
- Strawberry Apple Salsa by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Strawberry Hummus by The Freshman Cook
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries by Desserts Required
- Classic Eton Mess by Sunday Supper Movement
- Fresh Strawberry Pie by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Goopy Goop - A Healthy Strawberry Sauce by Cricket’s Confections
- Strawberry Bundt Cake by Caroline’s Cooking
- Strawberry Layer Cake with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting by Family Around The Table
- Grilled Balsamic Strawberry & Chicken Kabobs by Books n’ Cooks
- Grilled Fish Topped with Strawberry Salsa by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Spicy Strawberry BBQ Shredded Chicken by The Crumby Cupcake
- Strawberry and Arugula Pizza by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Strawberry Balsamic Brie Grilled Cheese by Authentically Candace
- Strawberry Almond Couscous by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Strawberry Bread by An Appealing Plan
- Strawberry Bruschetta Side Salad by April Golightly
- Strawberry Coleslaw by Family Foodie
- Strawberry Pecan Salad with Honey Balsamic Dressing by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Like what you see? Follow RKA on all these social networks!!