When Maille® asked Michele of Flavor Mosiac to review their products, she presented them with the idea of a collaborative blog progressive Easter Menu using their award winning mustards in each course and included myself and two other bloggers in the fun. I was asked to create a dessert course using a Maille® mustard! (Disclaimer: Maille® supplied me with the full range of products available in the US for review. All opinions expressed in this post are mine.) I decided to make a carrot cake. Carrot Cake is synonymous with Easter in my world.
Maille's® Rich Country Dijon was the perfect mustard variety to compliment the flavors of this cake. Rich Country Dijon is a variation on the Original Dijon but has the addition of ginger and cinnamon, making it the ideal choice to add to a dessert like carrot cake. It truly is, rich and creamy, almost mayonnaise like, in texture with little gorgeous specks of whole grain mustard seeds that add a little "pop"!
You won't be able to tell the mustard is in this cake at all, but you will notice the bit of zest that compliments the sweet ingredients perfectly. It really is a delicious ending to a spectacular meal!
Dijon Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 TBS. Maille® Rich Country Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded carrot
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 8 oz. crushed pineapple in 100% juice, not drained
- For frosting:
- 8 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 TBS. unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9" x 13" baking pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg, Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, or large glass measure, combine the sugar, applesauce, oil, eggs, mustard and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined. Add in the carrots, coconut, walnuts, raisins, and pineapple.
- Pour cake into prepared baking dish and smooth top. Bake for 40 -45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. (Middle may sink a little as it cools, that's ok!) Let cake cool completely.
- To make frosting: Combine the cream cheese, butter and salt. Mix with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add in the powdered sugar a cup at a time, beating with each addition. Spread over cooled cake.
- Store frosted cake in refrigerator until ready to serve. Refrigerate leftovers.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 15 mins.
Total time: 60 mins.
Adapted from Allrecipes
Servings - 24 Serving Size - 1/24th of cake Points Plus per Serving - 7 Points+
Calories - 255.5, Carb. - 36.6g, Protein - 3.3g, Fiber - 1.3g
And now that we've had dessert first, onto the rest of this delicious menu featuring several different Maille® products and brought to you by Flavor Mosiac, Life Tastes Good, The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch. (click on each photograph to grab the recipe and the story about their chosen mustard!)
From The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch, a fresh salad. Honey Dijon Spinach Salad featuring Maille's® Honey Dijon Mustard.
From Flavor Mosaic, this delicious entree! Pork Loin with Dijon Cream Sauce and Cornichons featuring Maille's® Old Style Mustard and Cornichons.
...and from Life Tastes Good an amazing side dish! Caramelized Onion Smashed Potatoes featuring Maille's® Horsradish Mustard.
Complete range of US Maille products, (1 jar of each: Dijon Originale, Honey Dijon, Old Style, Dijonnaise, Rich Country Dijon, Horseradish, and Cornichons) One Maille apron from France One Maille kitchen mitt from France Five Maille decorative wooden spoons from France Revol oil and vinegar cruets (valued at $50 each) Revol Salt and pepper shakers (valued at $50) The complete package is valued at $265!!!
a Rafflecopter giveaway