If you haven't guessed who my assigned blog is yet...it's Shelby from The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch. Now Shelby and I "talk" daily....so I can't even begin to tell you how difficult it was to keep this whole thing under wraps! I am soooo glad today is here! lol
Shelby's blog is full of all kinds of great recipes from indulgent to diet friendly. A few I have bookmarked to try later is her ever famous Chicken Baseballs (perfect recipe to celebrate any game now that baseball season is here!), her Apricot Quinoa Breakfast Cookies (yup, this one will remain on my "must make" list), and her Mom's Cheese Ball (I am a sucker for a good cheese ball!). But today, we are going to talk about her Maple Walnut Banana Bread! Yum!
This recipe appealed to me for several reasons. I had those bananas that needed using up, I love maple, and the only real sugar ingredient in the bread itself is pure maple syrup. I tweaked the recipe just a tad. Shelby said she thought the maple flavor overpowered the banana flavor, so I used all three bananas instead of two. I also decided to put the walnuts INTO the bread instead of on the top and I added a 1/2 tsp. salt to the batter to help balance the sweet. I omitted the sugar topping and glazed the bread with some maple flavored glaze. I replaced the butter with canola oil. With all the changes I made, I still had a pretty incredible tasting quick bread.
Whether you make my version or Shelby's version...if you like maple, you'll love this twist on traditional banana bread! I cannot even begin to describe how incredible your house will smell as this bakes up.
Maple Walnut Banana Bread with Maple Glaze
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 TBS 1% milk
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 fully ripe, mashed medium bananas
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup (any grade is fine)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp. maple extract
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. maple extract
- 1-2 TBS 1% milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9" loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the mashed bananas, maple syrup, oil, maple extract and milk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until JUST combined. Add in the walnuts and spread batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.
- To make glaze: Combine the powdered sugar with maple extract and enough milk to make smooth. Pour over banana bread.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Total time: 60 mins.
Tags: banana, bread, maple
Servings - 16 Serving Size -1/16th of loaf Points Plus per serving - 5 Points+
Calories - 180.9, Total Fat - 8.6g, Carb. - 2.7g, Fiber - 1.1g
Adapted from The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch
Check out all the great SRC recipes this month!