I've never been a big fan of the radish but this salad has helped changed my mind. They are not only color pleasing in this salad, but they also add great crunch and a little bit of spiciness. Radishes are quite healthy too! Vitamin C, potassium, calcium and fiber are just a few positive attributes of radishes.
The inspiration for this salad came from Allrecipes. Like the author of the original recipe I, too, had a bunch of radishes I needed to use up. I am so glad I found this salad and adjusted the ingredients to suite my tastes. This salad went right up to the top of my list of refreshing summer salads.
I also loved that I had a chance to use my fresh dill that I potted this year. This is the first time I've put dill into my potted herb garden. I LOVE the taste of fresh dill, and was glad to find a great recipe to use it in.
Of course, this is a photo of my pots when I first planted them. They have really filled out in the past month!! Being able to grab whatever fresh herbs I want for cooking is one of the best things about summer! But if you don't have an herb garden, fresh dill is easy to find in the produce section of your grocery store too!
Dilled Cucumber and Radish Salad
- 1 large English cucumber, sliced
- 2 cups sliced radishes
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt (or more to taste)
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 3 TBS unseasoned rice wine vinegar
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 TBS chopped fresh dill (or more or less to your liking)
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine the cucumbers and radish in a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt. Mix and allow to sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes. Drain off any liquid that forms.
- In a small bowl or small mason jar with lid, combine the vinegar, oil, garlic, and sugar. Mix or whisk well.
- Add onion to the cucumber-radish mixture and pour dressing on top of vegetables. Mix to coat. Add in the dill and the black pepper. Taste for additional salt if needed.
- Refrigerate for atleast 1 hour to allow flavors to meld. Garnish with additional fresh dill, if desired.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Total time: 1 hrs. 10 mins.
Tags: salad, cucumber, radish, dill, vegetable
Adapted from Allrecipes
Servings - 6 Serving size - 1/6th of recipe Points Plus per Serving - 2 Points+
Calories 79, Total Fat - 4.7g, Carb - 3.8g, Protein - 0.5g, Fiber 1g
How about you? Are you a radish lover? If not, give this salad a try. You might be converted like I was!