The ice cream is not actually fried in oil...but you know, that "fried" sweet, crispy crunchy topping they put on a big ball of vanilla ice cream and then drizzle with honey or chocolate syrup (or both!), and top with whipped cream, and a cherry? If you have never had the pleasure of indulging in this amazing treat...you must try this recipe!! If you are familiar with the kind of "fried" ice cream I am talking about...then YOU MUST TRY THIS RECIPE! :)
Because this pie uses store bought ice cream and non-dairy whipped topping...it's actually pretty easy to make more diet friendly. By choosing reduced fat or non fat products, you can help control the calories in this pie. You can also top this pie however you like or not at all. The choice is yours!
My family LOVED this dessert...and so did I! It's so easy to make as well. The hardest part is waiting for it to freeze.
So what are you waiting for? Go out and get the ingredients you need to make this today...and make your mouth and tummy happy! Don't forget to scroll down and enter to win the amazing giveaway too!
"Fried" Ice Cream Pie
Just like the "fried" ice cream at my favorite Mexican restaurant! Easy and delicious!
- 1/2 container of 1.5 quart reduced calorie vanilla ice cream
- 8 oz. Cool Whip® Free, divided
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cups crushed corn flakes
- 4 TBS. butter
- 3 TBS. granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 8 maraschino cherries, optional
- chocolate syrup or honey, optional
- In a small skillet, melt the butter over med heat. Add in the crushed cornflakes, almonds, sugar and salt. Mix well to combine. Allow to cool to room temp.
- Set out ice cream and allow to soften. When soft enough, fold in 1/2 of the container of Cool Whip and cinnamon.
- In a deep dish 9" pie plate, put half the crumb mixture on the bottom. Pat to an even layer. Spread the ice cream mixture over the crumbs. Top the ice cream mixture with the remaining crumbs.
- Cover pie with plastic wrap and put the pie in freezer until frozen. (About 2 hours or longer)
- Before serving, cut pie into 8 slices. Garnish each slice with the remaining Cool Whip and a maraschino cherry. Drizzle with chocolate syrup or honey, if desired.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 15 mins.
Total time: 2 hrs. 15 mins.
Tags: ice cream, fried, cinnamon, dessert, frozen
Adapted from Growing Up Gabel
*I am not going to furnish nutrition information for this dessert, as it will vary according to the brand of ice cream you use. I used Edy's Slow Churned Vanilla for my pie.
Make sure you swing by for a scoop from each of today's Ice Cream Week Participants:
- Pink Lemonade Ice Cream Pie by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Caramel Ice Cream Pie by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Peppermint Fleck Ice Cream by Scoop Adventures
- Raspberry Lemonade Ice Cream Pie by The Redhead Baker
- Coffee Ice Cream by Cookistry
- Salted Caramel Ice Cream by Life Tastes Good
- Salted Caramel Peanut Butter Buster Bars by The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch
- Cherry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Hezzi-d's Books and Cooks
- "Fried" Ice Cream Pie by Renee's Kitchen Adventures
- Mint Chip Ice Cream by Crumb
- S'mores Ice Cream Pie by Love and Confections
- How to Make an Ice Cream Pie at Home by Farm Fresh Feasts
- Gluten Free Sandwich Cookie Ice Cream Pie by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Fudge Topped Chocolate Ice Cream Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Salted Caramel Ice Cream Pie by The Spiffy Cookie
- Caramel Coffee Milkshake by Wishes and Dishes
- Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Pie by The Messy Baker
- Majarete (Dominican Corn Pudding) Ice Cream by Mind Over Batter
- Peanut Butter Crunch Ice Cream Cake by The Gunny Sack
- Dirty Girl Scout Ice Cream by Quarter Life (Crisis) Cuisine
- No Churn Low Carb Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Yours and Mine are Ours
Other Blogs participating later this week:
Special Guest for the Week is Lindsay Clendaniel of the blog, Scoop Adventures. We're very excited to have her join us. Lindsay is the author of Scoop Adventures which is chock full of ice cream goodness.
***Sorry, contest is over!***
***Sorry, contest is over!***
One Cuisinart Ice Cream Machine in White One Cake Boss Mechanical Ice Cream Scoop with Red Silicone grips One Cake Boss 4Pc Ice Cream Bowl Set, Icing Pattern One Anolon Advanced Bronze 2 Qt Covered Straining Saucepan with Pour Spout One Microplane Herb and Salad Chopper One Microplane Premium Classic Grater in White One WUSTHOF CLASSIC 9-inch Double Serrated Bread Knife One Copy of the Cookbook Making Artisan Gelato by Torrance Kopfer One Copy of the Cookbook Everything Goes with Ice Cream by Koralee Teichroeb One Copy of the Cookbook Vegan Scoop by Wheeler del Torro One Copy of the Cookbook The Great Vegan Bean Book by Kathy Hester One Copy of the Cookbook Eat More Dessert by Jenny Kellar One Copy of the Cookbook The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz One Copy of the Cookbook Scoop Adventures by Lindsay Clendaniel
Like what you see? Follow RKA on all these social networks!!