It's Secret Recipe Club time again! This month I was assigned to the blog IlonasKitchen. Ilona says, "When I am stressed I bake and/or go to the gym. It's a symbiotic relationship!" I love this philosophy!
There were so many good recipes to choose from on her blog! I finally settled in the pasta category of her blog. I choose several recipes to make on the short list (Creamy Goat Cheese Pasta with Lemon and Spinach and Farfalle with Garlic Parmesan Cream Sauce to name a few!) , but ultimately, since I LOVE arugula, I choose to make this one.
Her recipe, Peppery Pasta with Arugula and Shrimp, was obviously made with shrimp, but someone (not mentioning any names) forgot to pick up frozen raw shrimp at the store. What I did have on hand was chicken Italian sausage, and let me say, it works wonderfully in this flavorful pasta dish. My mouth is actually watering for this as I write! haha
This isn't a fussy pasta dish, which makes it perfect for a weeknight meal. You really don't cook the arugula at all, just sort of let it wilt into the sauce and hot pasta. If you aren't fan of arugula, you could easily substitute baby spinach and still have a tasty dish.
Serve some crusty Italian bread with it for a complete easy meal! YUM! Thanks Ilona for a great recipe! This one will be made in my house again!
Peppery Pasta with Arugula and Sausage
Adapted from Ilona's Kitchen
Peppery arugula and pasta with zesty Italian chicken sausage in a light broth topped with shaved Parmesan cheese
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3/4 cup fat-free, low sodium chicken broth
- 2 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 1 TBS unsalted butter
- 1-5oz. package of fresh arugula
- 8 ounces dry pasta of your choice
- 1-13 oz. package of fully cooked Italian sausage, cut into 1/2" slices
- salt and pepper, as desired
- Shaved Parmesan cheese, as you like
- Cook pasta according to package directions to al dente. Drain.
- In a large skillet, while pasta is cooking, heat olive oil over med heat. Add onions and cook until they become translucent and soft (about 5-6 minutes). Add in the chicken broth and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Add in the sausage. Allow to reduce by half. Swirl in the butter and turn off heat. Add in the hot pasta and arugula. Toss to coat and let the arugula wilt a little from the heat of the sauce and pasta. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide out into 4 plates and top with shaved Parmesan cheese.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Total time: 30 mins.
Tags: pasta, sausage, arugula, dinner, easy recipe
*Nutrition information not provided because of the variables in fully cooked Italian chicken sausage and amount of shaved Parmesan used
Like what you see? Follow RKA on all these social networks!!