Easy Pineapple Foster Sundaes is a quick dessert idea perfect for these hot summer days. Pineapple is covered in a rich brown sugar and butter mixture spooned over your favorite ice cream. It's a super easy take on a New Orleans classic that you will just LOVE! Thank you to DOLE Canned Fruit for this compensated opportunity to create a delicious dessert recipe to share featuring DOLE Canned Pineapple. All opinions are mine alone.
I am happy to say, now that July is almost over, summer has finally arrived here in NE Ohio! We are on a warm and sunny streak and I want to spend all my time outdoors, because I know it won't be long before old man winter is knocking on my door again. Because I want to soak up all this gorgeous weather, I don't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen preparing meals for my family. This recipe for Easy Pineapple Foster Sundaes is a great easy, time saving dessert option that comes together in no time with the help of DOLE Canned Fruit!
I try to keep a can or two of DOLE Canned Fruit in the pantry to make summer desserts and recipes a snap. I love to put DOLE Mandarin Oranges in Light Syrup in summer salads and my teenage son has been known to open a can of DOLE Tropical Fruit , and eat it right out of the can. I always have DOLE Pineapple on hand in chunks, tidbits, crushed and slices for both sweet and savory dishes or just for snacking. It's a great way to get vitamin A and C in and it's naturally fat free, cholesterol free and low in sodium, making it a convenient wholesome choice.
This dessert is a variation on the dish New Orleans invented and made famous, Bananas Foster. I swapped bananas for DOLE canned pineapple I had in the pantry and it was a hit! Bananas Foster traditionally uses rum that is lit and flamed, allowing the alcohol to burn off, but I elected to keep my version super easy by omitting the alcohol, but added the rum flavor by way of extract. I like to add the rum extract, as I think it gives it another dimension of flavor. If you can't find rum extract, you can sub vanilla extract.
The sauce comes together in no time by combining a few ingredients in a skillet then is served warm over your favorite vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt. You can have dessert on the table in about 10 minutes, which gives you plenty of time to escape the kitchen and enjoy the outdoors!
Just look at that yummy warm pineapple sauce waiting to be spooned over creamy ice cream! I love that you don't have to heat your oven up or your kitchen to make this dessert either. I know it's been very hot in most of the country this past couple of weeks, and this recipe is the perfect thing to serve to family and friends when the thermometer climbs.
So check your pantry to see if you have everything you need to make this easy dish. If you don't, head out to your local grocers or super stores and check out the canned fruit aisle where you can pick up more DOLE Canned Fruit to stock your pantry with and make this luscious, easy dessert recipe!
Easy Pineapple Foster Sundaes
Quick and easy variation on the New Orleans classic Bananas Foster featuring DOLE® Canned Fruit.
- 1- 20 oz. can of DOLE ® Crushed Pineapple in 100% Pineapple Juice
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 TBS juice from DOLE Canned Pineapple
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. rum extract (optional) or vanilla extract
- 1 pint of your favorite vanilla ice cream or vanilla frozen yogurt
- whole maraschino cherries, for garnish, if desired
- Open and drain DOLE® Crushed Pineapple in 100% Juice, reserving juice.
- In large skillet, melt butter. Add salt, brown sugar and 2 TBS reserved pineapple juice and cook until sugar dissolves and mixture gets bubbly. Add in drained DOLE® Crushed Pineapple, ground cinnamon and cook until the pineapple is warmed through, about 1-2 min. Take off heat, add in the rum extract or vanilla extract and set aside.
- In four small dessert bowls, spoon 2-3 TBS of the warm pineapple mixture. Top with a scoop of ice cream or frozen yogurt, and top the ice cream with another 1-2 TBS of warm pineapple mixture and then top with a cherry. Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 05 mins.
Total time: 10 mins.
Tags: pineapple, ice cream, dessert, easy recipe
You can learn all about DOLE Canned Fruit and find more recipes by visiting their website dole.com.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of DOLE Canned Fruit.
Like what you see? Follow RKA on all these social networks!!