Fluffy Whole Wheat Waffles will make anyone jump out of bed in the morning for breakfast! I've taken my favorite waffle recipe and added the goodness of whole grains to make it even better! Light, fluffy and so darn delicious, you'll be wishing it was morning all day long!
Waffles...I just love them!
My boys love waffles too, and when my old waffle iron broke, they replaced it for me with what has become my favorite tool in the kitchen...my waffle iron. I couldn't imagine life without waffles, and I guess they couldn't either! When my sons are home for the weekends, waffles for breakfast is a top request.
To help make my beloved Golden Honey Waffle recipe a bit more nutritious, I subbed out part of the all purpose flour for whole wheat. What I got was perfection! Waffles with a crisp exterior, but a light and fluffy exterior and slightly sweet from the honey. Whipping the egg whites and folding them into the batter is a must! I learned this technique from a Belgium foreign exchange student who shared her mother's recipe for Belgium waffles with me a few years ago. Don't skip this extra step, it's so worth it in the end.
Yes, making waffles from scratch is a little labor intensive, but so worth the little bit of extra work. Trust me! IF you have any leftover waffles, these waffles freeze beautifully. To reheat the frozen waffles, I just pop them into a toaster and toast until they are hot. I normally double this recipe so that I have a few waffles leftover to give to the boys to take back to college.
Are you a waffle lover? How do you like to top your waffles?
Fluffy Whole Wheat Waffles
Light, fluffy and golden brown, these delicious waffles made with whole wheat and all purpose flour will be a hit at your breakfast table!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup 100% whole wheat flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 TBS dry honey granules OR liquid honey (or granulated sugar)
- 1 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Heat waffle iron.
- In large bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, salt and dry honey granules or granulated sugar (If using liquid honey, wait and add with milk). Stir to combine.
- In small bowl or glass measure, whisk together the milks, melted butter, egg yolks, vanilla extract, and if you are using liquid honey, add that here. Set aside.
- In med bowl, add the two egg whites and with an electric mixer beat until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the milk mixture. Stir until just combined. Fold in the whipped egg whites until just combined.
- Spray waffle iron lightly with cooking spray and cook waffles according to manufactures directions.
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 15 mins.
Total time: 35 mins.
Tags: waffles, breakfast, honey, whole wheat, buttermilk
Adapted from Allrecipes
If you like this recipe, check out these other great breakfast recipes!
Like what you see? Follow RKA on all these social networks!!