Celebrate the arrival of Spring with this sweet and savory breakfast bake! Chicken Sausage, Apple and Cheddar Bake is the perfect dish to satisfy everyone's tastes.
This week's Sunday Supper theme is WELCOME SPRING and I am the host! I'm so excited because Spring is one of my favorite seasons! I can't think of a better dish to celebrate Spring than this delicious breakfast bake. It's a great choice for a lazy Sunday morning or to honor Mom on her special day!
How was this recipe born? Leftovers.
Yup. I had some Chicken sausage leftover and a half a loaf of bread that was getting stale. When ever I have stale bread, I generally think of three things; bread crumbs, french toast, and breakfast bakes. Breakfast bake won this time. I know apples and sausage are not ingredients that scream "Spring," but for me, anything with eggs is fair game. Spring also makes me think about brunch. Specifically brunch for Mother's Day or Easter...which are both Spring occasions.
I adore dishes that have both a sweet and savory component to them and this breakfast bake fits that bill. I used Granny Smith apples in here, to keep the sweetness subtle. The chicken sausage works so well with the apples too!
This dish can be made ahead if you like. Just assemble everything in the baking dish, cover with foil and refrigerate overnight. Take it out of the refrigerator for about a half and hour and let it sit at room temperature before baking.
If you are a sweet and savory fan like me, give this breakfast bake a try! I think you will love it!
What are your favorite Spring flavors?
Chicken Sausage, Apple and Cheddar Breakfast Bake
A sweet and savory breakfast casserole that will make mornings worth waking up for!
- 1 large Granny Smith Apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 1 TBS granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 6 oz. cubed stale Italian bread (about 6 cups)
- 12 oz. fully-cooked chicken sausage, finely diced
- 1 1/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Coat 3 quart baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In small bowl, combine the chopped apples, sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and salt.
- Add bread cubes, reserved apple mixture, chicken sausage, and I cup of the cheddar cheese to the egg mixture and mix to coat everything well with egg.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and level top. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese and bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until browned and set. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Total time: 55 mins.
Tags: Sunday Supper, Breakfast, Sausage, Apple, Casserole
Check out everything the Sunday Supper Tastemakers are sharing today!
- Chicken Sausage, Apple and Cheddar Breakfast Bake by Renee's Kitchen Adventures
- Chive and Cheese Quiche by An Appealing Plan
- Lavender Scones by Feeding Big and More
- Lemon Raspberry Baked Donuts by Grumpy's Honeybunch
- Matcha Donuts by The Ninja Baker
- Whole Wheat Lemon Berry Coffee Cake with Lemon Glaze by A Mindful Mom
- Artichoke Lemon Hummus by Food Done Light
- Asparagus and Goat Cheese Tart by Baking Sense
- Butter Lettuce and Spring Radish Salad by Hardly A Goddess
- Ceviche with Potato and Pea Shoot Salad by Caroline's Cooking
- Roasted Strawberry Popsicles by Brunch-n-Bites
- Rustic Wrapped Tart with Ramps by Delaware Girl Eats
- An Unconventional Mojito by Monica's Table
- Caribbean Cream Cocktail by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Cucumber Grapefruit Basil Mojito by The Crumby Cupcake
- Limoncello Raspberry Sangria by Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Spiced Rhubarb Champagne Cocktail by Hezzi-D Books and Cooks
- Vanilla Lavender Limeade by The Tip Toe Fairy
- Very Berry Springtime Spritzer by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Violet Hour by Wholistic Woman
- Cheese Tortellini with Herbed Ricotta and Fava Beans by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Gnocchi Primavera with Spring Asparagus and Peas by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Levantine Fattoush Salad by Curious Cuisiniere
- One Pan Spicy Lemon Chicken with Tomatoes by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Orecchiette with Peas, Pecorino and Onions by Cooking Chat
- Pasta with Peas by Manu's Menu
- Pesto Shrimp and Zoodles Oh My! by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Ramp and Mushroom Frittata by Pies and Plots
- Spring Lamb Skewers with Roasted Baby Carrots by Food Lust People Love
- Spring Salad with Scallops and Strawberry Vinaigrette by My World Simplified
- Veggie Pasta Primavera by Momma’s Meals
- Asparagus, Goat Cheese, and Rhubarb Salad by The Texan New Yorker
- Green Peas with Onion and Bacon by Magnolia Days
- Minty Pea Farro Spring Salad by She Loves Biscotti
- Roasted Asparagus and Mushroom Quinoa Pilaf by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Amazing Coconut Cake by A Baking Legacy
- Berry and Honey Whipped Ricotta by Family Foodie
- Caramelized Black Figs and Walnuts with Mascarpone by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Carrot Oatmeal Raisin Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cookies by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Colorado Crème by Cooking on the Ranch
- Honey Blossoms by Get the Good Stuff!
- Hot Milk Sponge Cake by Hey What’s for Dinner Mom?
- Lemon Scented Choux with Rhubarb Ginger Pastry Cream by The Finer Cookie
- Meyer Lemon Bars by The Chef Next Door
- No-Bake Berry Greek Yogurt Pie by An Italian in my Kitchen
- Rhubarb Meringue Pie by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Spring Cookie Bouquet by The Freshman Cook
- Strawberry Cheesecake Puffs by Moore or Less Cooking
- Strawberry Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream by Tramplingrose
- Strawberry Moscato Sorbet by Seduction in the Kitchen
- The Black Beast by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement
Like what you see? Follow RKA on all these social networks!!