This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MerryMeals #CollectiveBiasCreamy Chicken and Vegetable Casserole is a quick and easy weekday dinner idea! It's comfort food that comes together in less than an hour and is a lifesaver when the weeknights get hectic!
Not only is this the most wonderful time of the year, it's also the busiest! From holiday school performances to potluck holiday parties...our calendars are busting at the seams with commitments and errands this time of year! Why not have a few recipes like this Creamy Chicken And Vegetable Casserole on hand to make life easier?
I start this recipe with a trip to Giant Eagle. I choose Giant Eagle/Market District because they have everything I need during the busy holiday season from everyday groceries to baking goods to holiday items! They have all the name brand-products I'm looking for and quality store-brand items too! Plus, there's always a friendly employee available to direct me to a product location when I need to grab-and-go. I find shopping for everything I need to put this dinner together a pleasure at Giant Eagle. I even picked up a gift or two while I was there. Who doesn't appreciate one-stop-shopping this time of year?
Follow Giant Eagle on all their social channels!
Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest | Facebook
Obviously, we love this Creamy Chicken and Vegetable Casserole for the taste! I love it because it frees up my time so I could get some of the fun holiday stuff done...like decorate!
You can use any sort of cooked chicken in this casserole. I happened to have a couple of leftover skinless chicken breasts in the refrigerator, so that's what I used. But, you can use frozen, cooked chicken or even meat from a store-bought roitisserie chicken.
Putting the casserole together:
The sauce is easy to make right in the same pan you used to cook the pasta in. Remember, under cook the pasta by a minute or two, to help keep it from getting too soft in the casserole!
The frozen vegetables can be used straight from the package. No need to defrost or cook before hand. I used a package of Bird's Eye mixed vegetables and a package of Bird's Eye broccoli and cauliflower.
Assemble the casserole and add a quick and crunchy topping of Ritz® cracker crumbs. They make the perfect topping to this dish!
Pop in the oven for about 20 - 25 minutes for a great dinner! Serve with a green salad to complete the meal.
Creamy Chicken and Vegetable Casserole
A quick and easy dinner idea made with cooked chicken breast, frozen vegetables, and pasta in creamy sauce and topped with buttery crackers.
- 2 cups cubed, cooked chicken breast
- 8 oz. dry cavatappi pasta, cooked 1 - 2 min. less than the package directions
- 10 oz. frozen Bird's Eye® mixed vegetables
- 10 oz. frozen Bird's Eye® broccoli and cauliflower
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3 TBS all purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 4 oz. cream cheese, cubed, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp. marjoram (optional)
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 18 Ritz® crackers, crushed
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 13 x 9" baking dish (or larger) with cooking spray.
- Add pasta and frozen vegetable and stir to combine. Set aside.
- In same pan you cooked the pasta in, melt the butter on med-high heat. Whisk in the flour and let it get bubbly. Cook for about 1 minute. Slowly whisk the chicken stock and then add the milk. Let the mixture come to a boil and thicken.
- Add in the cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, marjoram, salt and pepper. Stir to melt the cheeses. Pour mixture evenly over the pasta and vegetables. Carefully stir to combine.
- Sprinkle crushed crackers evenly over the top. Heat in oven for 20 -25 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let the casserole sit for at least 10 minutes before serving. The sauce will thicken as it sits.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Total time: 35 mins.
Now that dinner is done and the dishes are washed...time to decorate!
All that decorating makes me thirsty and hungry! I take time for a vitamin C break...
and my helper takes time for a healthy snack!
For more holiday inspiration, visit the Giant Eagle Social Hub!
Like what you see? Follow RKA on all these social networks!!