Savory Egg-Topped Oatmeal is totally different from what you are used to when you think of oatmeal, but it is just as delicious as it's sweet counterparts! This recipe makes a great breakfast, brunch, lunch or even light dinner. The oatmeal is flavored with soy sauce and sesame oil then topped with sauteed onion, a fried egg, green onion and a little Sriracha for a most unusual taste sensation!
After a couple of months hiatus, The Secret Recipe Club is back in full swing! This month I was assigned to the blog, Morsels of Life. CJ's blog is full of wonderful recipes using ingredients that are common and easy to find. (I like that!) I found lots of recipes I bookmarked to make but kept coming back to this Savory Oatmeal. The thought of making a savory oatmeal just intrigued me so much, that I decided one day to make it for lunch for my teenage son and myself.
Oh my goodness...I am so glad I gave this one a try! Both my son and I are fans of sweet oatmeal, and we were both eager to try this savory twist! It's so different, but so satisfying and let me tell you, the egg really takes it over the edge in flavor and texture!
CJ says she likes to use measurements as "guides"...if you like something, add a little more if not leave it out. Don't like onions, leave them off. Like your egg cooked firmer, cook it longer! I was pretty wimpy with the Sriracha, but by all means, if you are a huge fan and can take the heat, give it a good squirt!
My son and I really enjoyed this dish and will be making this again. Next time I think I'm going to add some sausage or bacon to it too! It made a quick, easy, and pretty healthy lunch for us! If you are an oatmeal fan, give this savory twist a try sometime! Thank you CJ for a great alternative to sweet oatmeal.
Savory Egg-Topped Oatmeal
Whole grain oatmeal flavored with soy and sesame and topped with sauteed onion, an egg, and some Sriracha for a little kick!
- 1 cup quick or Old fashioned Oats
- 2 cups water
- 1 TBS low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp. roasted sesame oil
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 2 large eggs
- Sriracha, to taste
- sliced green onion, for garnish, if desired
- In large, microwave safe bowl, combine the oats, water, soy sauce, and sesame oil and cook according to package directions.
- While oats are cooking, heat a small non-stick fry pan on med heat. Spray with cooking spray and sautee onion until translucent (about 5 - 6 minutes). Remove onions to a small bowl and set aside. Spray pan again with cooking spray and cook two eggs to your liking. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- To serve, divide the oatmeal between two shallow bowls. Top each with sauteed onion and one fried egg. Garnish with Sriracha and green onion (if using). Enjoy.
Yield: 2 servings
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 05 mins.
Total time: 15 mins.
Tags: oats, oatmeal, savory, breakfast, egg, soy sauce, sesame
Servings - 2 Serving Size - 1/2 recipe Points Plus per Serving - 6 Points+
Calories - 259.3, Total Fat - 9.3g, Carb. - 31.1g, Protein - 12g, Fiber - 4.8g
Like what you see? Follow RKA on all these social networks!!