Slow Cooker Rice, Bean, and Veggie Stuffed Peppers is a great dinner idea for this time of year! (or anytime!) Sweet red bell peppers are stuffed with brown rice, beans, veggies and cheese then baked in a slow cooker for an easy meatless meal option the whole family will enjoy.
My husband. He is a true mid-western meat and potatoes for dinner kind of guy. If there is ONE thing he feels he must have at dinner it's meat. I tried to serve tofu to him once. He politely scraped it off his plate and firmly told me, "NO!" So when I spring meatless meals on him, I have to be pretty careful of my selection.
He actually ate this one. He didn't complain. Would he have rather had meat in the peppers? Probably, but the truth is, he ate every bit of this dish and said it was good! Score one for me! haha There is really nothing NOT to like about these peppers. They are tasty and filling, and honestly, I never even missed the meat in them.
I was skeptical about using the slow cooker to make these, but it turns out, it works beautifully.The peppers cook perfectly. The filling comes together in no time. I used white beans, but would have used black, if I had some in the pantry. So if you make these, use whatever variety of beans you like! Kidney, garbanzo, pinto...they would all work well here!
As for the rice, whenever I make rice, I try to remember to make extra to freeze for other times when I need it and I don't want it warm. This recipe is great for leftover rice. You can also buy prepared rice in the frozen section of the supermarket that is pretty good for this purpose as well.
The slow cooker cooked the peppers to a perfect softness in about 3 1/2 hours for me. That was when I added a little cheese to the top and removed them to the serving platter. I garnished them with some chopped cilantro, because we like cilantro in this house. But you can totally leave that part off or use parsley instead.
I know this is the time of year many people are on the look out for meatless options to serve and I highly recommend you add this one to your list if you are one of those people. I think you will be happy you did!
Slow Cooker Rice, Bean, and Veggie Stuffed Peppers
Sweet red bell peppers stuffed with brown rice, beans, veggies and cheese and baked in a slow cooker for an easy meatless meal option the whole family will enjoy
- 3 Large sweet red bell peppers
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup canned corn, drained (I used fire roasted)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 green onion, sliced
- 1 cup canned beans ( you can use any kind you like), rinsed and drained
- 1 - 10.75 oz. can of diced tomatoes with green chilies (mild or hot)
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 1/4 cup 2% shredded Mexican blend cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 - 10 oz. can condensed tomato soup
- chopped cilantro, for garnish, if desired
- Spray the crock of a 5 quart or bigger oval slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Prepare the peppers, by halving them lengthwise and removing seeds, stem and ribs. Place in slow cooker crock with insides up. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, corn, beans, onion, green onion, and garlic powder. Open the canned tomatoes, and drain off liquid but reserve it for later. Add the tomatoes to the rice mixture and stir to combine. Test for salt and pepper and add as desired. Mix in the shredded cheese, reserving a couple of TBS for the topping, if desired.
- Spoon rice/bean/cheese mixture into each pepper half. (About a 1/2 cup per pepper half)
- Combine the reserved juice from the canned tomatoes with the condensed tomato soup.
- Spoon the tomato soup mixture on top of the peppers. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Peppers are done when they are fork tender.
- Place a little cheese on top of each pepper half and close the lid for about 5 minutes to melt the cheese. Remove the peppers to serving plate and sprinkle with chopped cilantro, if desired.
Yield: 6 stuffed pepper halves
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Total time: 4 hrs. 10 mins.
Tags: slow cooker, crock pot, peppers, stuffed peppers, rice, meatless, dinner
Servings - 6 Serving Size - 1 pepper half with filling and sauce
Points Plus per Serving - 7 Points+
Calories - 271.8, Total Fat - .5.5g, Carb. - 43.2g, Protein - 12.6g, Fiber - 6.7g
More meatless dinner options you might like:
|Savory Egg-Topped Oatmeal|
|Skinny Poblano Pepper and Corn Chowder|
|Stuffed Veggie Pitas|
You can also check out my Meatless Meals Pinterest Board for more meal inspiration!
Like what you see? Follow RKA on all these social networks!!