This tasty cheesy Monte Cristo Style Grilled Cheese Sandwich made with new Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bread is the perfect choice for a satisfying lunch or easy dinner! (I've written this sponsored post on behalf of Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bread and as always, all opinions are mine alone.)
Did you know that April is National Grilled Cheese month? I was very excited to learn about this event. I happen to love grilled cheese so celebrating seems like the thing to do!
I can't think of a better "grilled cheese" than this delicious and easy-to-make Monte Cristo Style Grilled Cheese Sandwich. I was first introduced to the Monte Cristo as a kid. This was one of my own mother's quick, go-to meals when I was growing up, so as you can imagine, it sort of holds a special place in my heart. As I grew older, my Monte Cristo evolved into a sandwich a little different from my mom's version. My version uses only ham, not the usual ham and turkey combination. I also prefer using a grainy mustard and a mayo mixture. Mom used plain yellow mustard and no mayo. And lastly, I recently discovered Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bread which has taken my Monte Cristo to a new level of deliciousness!
Have you tried this bread yet? It's basically the perfect vehicle for my Monte Cristo Style Grilled Cheese. This bakery-style bread is thick cut so it holds up well to the egg wash in this sandwich. The texture of the bread itself is soft and fluffy with an Italian bread flavor profile, which is perfect with the salty ham and creamy Swiss cheese. I also love that it's made without artificial colors or high fructose corn syrup.
I finish this sandwich with a little shake of powdered sugar and some strawberry preserves on the side for dipping or spreading onto the sandwich. This is one thing I did keep from the way my mom served it when I was young. It's a great sweet and savory taste, which is something I adore.
Let me show you how easy it is to put this sandwich together. Start by taking two thick slices of Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bread and spread a nice grainy mustard on one side of one of the slices and some mayonnaise on one side of the other slice of bread. Lay them out spread side up.
Add a slice of Swiss cheese to each bread slice and on top of one of the slices of cheese, add the ham. Put the slices of bread together to make the sandwich and quickly dip both sides into the egg wash.
Cook in skillet until golden brown on each side. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with strawberry preserves, if desired.
Have you ever had a Monte Cristo Sandwich?
Monte Cristo Style Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Ham and cheese sandwich, dipped in an egg wash and fried up golden brown.
- 2 slices of Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bread
- 1 tsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp grainy mustard
- 2 - 3 oz of smoked deli ham, sliced
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 TBS half and half
- 1/2 TBS butter
- powdered sugar, for sprinkling (if desired)
- Spread mayonnaise on one side of one slice of bread. Spread mustard on one side of the other slice of bread. Lay down, spread sides up.
- Top each slice of bread with spread with a slice of Swiss cheese.
- Top one slice of bread with the Swiss cheese with the ham. Assemble the sandwich.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg and the half and half until well combined.
- Heat a small skillet over med heat. Add the butter and swirl it around. Once it's all melted and starting to bubble, dip the sandwich quickly in the egg, making sure to coat the entire thing. Add sandwich to skillet and cook until golden brown on one side, Flip and cook the other side. Serve warm with powdered sugar and strawberry preserves, if desired.
Yield: 1 serving
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Total time: 20 mins.
Tags: cheese, sandwich, ham, grilled cheese, lunch, dinner, Sara Lee®
What kind of grilled cheese would you make with Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bread?
You can find Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bread in the grocery bread aisle and if you shop Walmart, it will be on Rollback until 7/31/2016!
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bread.
Like what you see? Follow RKA on all these social networks!!