I have to admit...I had no idea what Strawberries Romanoff was until I started doing some research on strawberry desserts. When I found a few recipes for this treat, I knew I could throw my own spin on it. Traditionally, this dessert calls for orange liquor. I decided to leave the alcohol out and replace it with orange sugar. The dessert still gets a nice orange flavor, but without the addition of alcohol so it makes it the perfect treat for the whole family to enjoy!
Lately, I've been having a love affair with Florida strawberries. They are so delicious! Fresh Florida strawberries are the best choice for Strawberries Romanoff this time of year. They are a wholesome taste of summer available all winter long! With all the indulgences of the holidays behind me, I'm looking for lighter and healthier meals and desserts. Strawberries Romanoff made with Florida strawberries fits the bill.
Florida strawberries are good for you! Did you know that just 8 medium strawberries contain more vitamin C than one orange? In addition to vitamin C, Florida strawberries are also a good source of folic acid and potassium. According to Yale’s Prevention Research Center, Florida strawberries are one of the most nutrient dense foods available, making them a smart choice for anyone!
Let's get cooking!
Strawberries Romanoff is super easy to assemble!
First, make orange sugar by zesting an orange over some granulated sugar. Zest with a microplane over the sugar, so the oils and zest that come off of the orange land into the sugar!
Next, with fingers, massage the zest into the sugar. You will smell the most amazing orange scent and this process will further release the oils from the orange zest into the sugar.
Combine the orange sugar and fresh cut Florida strawberries. Allow to sit for a few minutes. The sugar will draw out some of the strawberry juices and combine with the orange sugar creating a strawberry-orange syrup over the berries.
When ready to assemble the dessert mix the strawberries once more and begin assembling. For the diet conscious, skip the cream sauce and eat the strawberries plain at this stage! Delicious!
Fresh Florida strawberries are combined with orange sugar and topped with a cream sauce for a wholesome dessert everyone will love.
- 3 TBS granulated sugar
- zest of one orange (reserve a little zest for garnish, if desired)
- about 1 pound of fresh Florida strawberries, hulled and cut in half
- 1/4 cup sour cream (can be reduced fat)
- 3 TBS brown sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Make orange sugar by combining granulated sugar with orange zest by massaging with fingers.
- Combine the orange sugar and the Florida strawberries. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, brown sugar, and pure vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, with electric mixer, whip cream to stiff peaks. Fold in the sour cream mixture.
- Spoon Florida strawberries evenly into 4 dessert bowls. Top with sauce and sprinkle with reserved orange zest, if desired. Serve immediately.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 15 mins.
Total time: 15 mins.
Adapted from Food.com
Florida strawberry season runs from November to April. They are available in many locations throughout Florida AND outside of Florida all winter long! I am so delighted that I can find these gems in my local grocers up here in Ohio! If you don't see Florida strawberries on your grocer's shelves, be sure to ask your produce manager or store manager to carry them!
Join me in following Florida Strawberries on all their social sites!
- Giveaway runs from December 12, 2016 to February 12, 2017
- Submit a photo directly through the link or on social media using the #FLStrawberryCap hashtag
- Everyone who enters gets a Florida Strawberry Cap! (Limit one per household)
- Enter to win the grand prize as many times as you’d like
- Be creative! Winning images will be hand selected!
- Go here for a complete list of terms and conditions
This post is sponsored by Florida Strawberry in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
Check out all the wholesome Florida strawberry recipes the Sunday Supper Tastemakers have created:
- Balsamic & Brown Sugar Strawberry Canapés by My Sweet Zepol
- Fresh Mozzarella Strawberry Flatbread by Family Foodie
- Slow Cooker Strawberry Foccaccio by Healing Tomato
- Strawberry Avocado Crostini by Beauty and the Beets
- Strawberry Mango Salsa with Whole Wheat Cinnamon Chips by Meghan On The Move
- Feta and Strawberry Tabouleh Salad by Sunday Supper Movement
- Strawberry Caprese Salad with Balsamic and Mint by Authentically Candace
- Strawberry Panzanella Salad by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Pan-Seared Sea Bass with Butternut Squash and Strawberry Sauce by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Pork Chops with Balsamic-Strawberry Sauce by Life Tastes Good
- Strawberry Balsamic Grilled Chicken by Katie's Cucina
- Strawberry Pesto Chicken by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Strawberry Salad with Grilled Chicken and Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette by Family Around The Table
- Lightened-Up Strawberry Mille-Feuille by Girl Abroad
- Roasted Strawberry Pavlova with Lemon Cream by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Strawberries Romanoff by Renee's Kitchen Adventures
- Strawberry Buttermilk Cake by Cricket's Confections
- Strawberry Pound Cake Kabobs With Chocolate Drizzle by My Sweet Savings
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Like what you see? Follow RKA on all these social networks!!